1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Lights Exclamation Check Engine VSC Code P0A80

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Caliprius06, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey just wanted to add to this forum after seeing the master warning lights on my Prius yesterday i read through the forum and was going to check the 12v battery and then move forward in the diagnostics of the next problem if the 12v was not the problem..

The Hybrod battery indicator was charging fast and depleting quick and also you could hear the engine rev up really high once the battery became low...

So before even checking the 12v battery I ran codes with a friend of mine and here are the results looks like I need a new battery pack..trouble codes were P0A80 and also $07EB.

I have a 2006 Prius with @ 123,000 miles on it I am the second owner and I purchased it from a dealer like 4 months ago...Toyota will replace this correct under the 10yr 150k California warranty as long it was a California purchase???

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, you win the lottery.(y)

Caliprius06 likes this.
  3. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you guys think it will be safe to drive to the dealership which is about 10 miles away or should I tow it?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to assess the car's driveability symptoms to see whether you think it will make the 10 mile trip or not. Bring your fully-charged cellphone along in case you have to call for a tow truck for assistance.

Caliprius06 likes this.
  5. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Patrick I will be bringing my fully charged IPhone 6 Plus! Also I will update everyone on how everything goes. Wish me luck I know they are gonna try to charge me for a diagnostics....

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about that. If your car has a repair that is covered under warranty then the charge should be waived.

If your car needs a repair which is not covered under warranty then it is reasonable for you to pay for the tech's diagnostic time.

Caliprius06 likes this.
  7. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok update..

Made it to the dealership told them about the code and they said they will first check some filters etc and they would call me back if worse case scenario it was the battery pack..

Well 4 hours later I get a call and guess what I'm getting a new battery Pack!!!!! im very happy...

They said that since they were pulling everything apart it would be wise to remove all the dust in the pipes or something and it would be wise to replace the screen filter for the battery pack ventilation...total for the charges will be $130 after thinking about it, I said ok what the hell is this common does anyone know??

Thanks

#7 Caliprius06, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    worth every penny, considering you're starting over with a brand spanking new battery, congrats!(y)

Caliprius06 likes this.
  9. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Bisco I liked your comment about hitting the lottery man it feels like it I'm very happy they said I can pick the car up tomorrow so they are getting it done in one day for me!

10. Phillip Hamman

Phillip Hamman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yay you win. Mine went bad at 161K so long out of warranty, but lasted 10 years. In the mean time the rest of the car is good. I fixed it myself but that's another story. Take note it does have a timing belt, I had mine replaced at the 100K maintenance. I could go on and on...

Caliprius06 likes this.
  11. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know the feeling :) but yeah you did get 10 years out of it which is great I have only owned mine for about 4 months :) thank God the warranty was still in effect. As for my car it is in great condition as well. Thank you for the heads up in regards to the timing belt I guess I will have to check on it as the service records show that it has not been conducted yet. On and on? Hahah lots of repairs here and there or what?

Looking at the service records all the recalls have been completed up to 2013 and also looks like the water pump was replaced in 2013 which is also nice..

Thanks

12. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will getting a new battery pack for the Prius result in better mpg then I was getting before.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

13. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Gen2 Prius is timing chain not belt. Where did you have yours replaced?
    Timing belt or chain? | PriusChat

Also note there is no screen filter on cooling system. It was added on gen 3 models. Some folks here have fabricated their own.

Caliprius06 likes this.
  14. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok so I got my Prius back today and yes there was no screen filter charge I just paid for the dust cleaning which cost $120..

Overall I'm happy I got a new genuine battery pack with a 1 year unlimited mile Toyota warranty hopefully I will get a couple of extra mpg's too.

#14 Caliprius06, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  15. Caliprius06

Caliprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: with the new battery Im getting 10 extra mpg after driving 15 miles...

Average says 55mpg now compared to the roughly 44mpg from before!

#15 Caliprius06, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  16. Phillip Hamman

Phillip Hamman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chain yeah, I got that mixed up the the surip n teen belt. Any way still driving.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jealous.

Hoping my HV Battery dies under warranty: 17,000miles/2years left to go. PLEASE.

$120 diagnosis/duct cleaning vs $2,000+ for new HV Battery. What are you going to do w/ all the money saved?

Make sure they cleaned the HV fan; they will say the did, even if they didn't. You can always clean this yourself too.

Consider adding a "filter" of your own. I have seen some have use simple window screen filter (same as what's on your home windows) or cut a piece of HVAC filter from a big box hardware store.