1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning, malfunction indicator, brake system, and hybrid system warning lights.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Taylorwollam, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Taylorwollam

Taylorwollam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried to start my car this morning and got a million different warning messages. My engine didn't start as normal. Restarted the system, engine came on, warning lights were still there. Checked the manual and it says to take it to a dealer, but I've heard horror stories of prices and all the mess ups the Toyota dealerships have made. I am a dirt poor college student who bought this car from a third party dealer with 170,000 miles on it. Currently has 181,000. I changed the oil about 5,000 miles ago, and used full synthetic. The place I got my oil changed at said the check engine light would come on eventually, signaling me to change the oil again, and that I could ignore it for a little while because I used full synthetic. So that light has been on a couple weeks now. I'm worried I'll have to replace the battery, and I don't have thousands of dollars at my expense. Please help!!! :(

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! start by testing the 12 volt battery, and make sure the gas cap is tight.

if they said 'check engine light' for oil change, that's incorrect. you get a 'maintenance required' message every 5k for general stuff like oil, tyres, filters, etc.

check engine means something is amiss.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    See if any auto parts stores in your area will read the codes for free (assuming that the check engine light (looks like an engine in profile) is on, not the MAINT light. See your manual to tell the difference). Definitely check your 12V--there are plenty of threads here on how to do that and what the thresholds are.

4. Taylorwollam

Taylorwollam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, meant the maintenance required light. I got them confused. So that maintenance required light has been on for a while.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about taking good photos of all warning lights and messages, and post them.

Can the car be driven now? Any issues other than the warning lights?

Have you checked all engine compartment fluids?

6. Taylorwollam

Taylorwollam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V battery shows as 11.4-7.

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    11.8 V on a 12 V AGM battery is essentially discharged. You need a new 12 V battery. The new one should read close to 12.8 V.