1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

master Warning + Traction Battery Indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by raholco, Aug 15, 2010.

1. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had my first hiccup, and it's little disconcerting.

Usually about every two weeks I take my car through a car wash and I have to put the car in N-no big deal, no messages.

This go-around as I was nearing the end of the wash, the Master Warning and the traction battery lights gets thrown, with the message on the display saying I should put the car in Park. Well, naturally you can't do that inside this car wash, so I waited until after I exited and checked the charge display: one purple bar.

So I hit the freeway and within 5 minutes I go all the way up to all Green. So I go from one bar to almost 8 bars in under 5 minutes?

I find this rather odd that all of a sudden I get this behavior.

Here's my question: when this happens, does the car store a DTC code?

I'll watch the charge level when I get back in the car.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you have the A/C on and/or the headlights while going through the car wash? I think that the only problem is that the car needed to recharge the traction battery because the SOC had dropped to 40% and it couldn't because you were in N while going through the car wash. I doubt that you set a DTC, but it is possible since you got the Triangle of Death (TOD).

Another way to get the TOD is to try to shift to D while the driver's door is open. The car does not like this behavior and will let you know promptly.

3. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the A/C was on, but I've had the AC running before in near-identical conditions.

I just popped down and checked the battery level, and its still green, so maybe this is an outlier.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A/C takes a lot of energy - kiloWatts of energy. It can run the battery down pretty quickly.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Rahalco,

So, you know what the SOC of the battery was before and after the car wash in both cases? This would take a scan gauge, as the bars on the MFD are pretty loose.

6. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just may get a ScanGague after this episode.