1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

master's or phd for galaxee?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Nov 2, 2005.

?
  1. master's. get done already, get out of here and make some real money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. phd. you may be really unhappy but what's another 3 years?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Oh, did you ever hit it on the head.

Unfortunately, noone here has any decent funding anymore after the huge budget cuts. Seems everyone was up for competitive renewal at the same time. I was circulated around 5 different labs before landing here in a rather haphazard way. There are 4 other advisors who would love to have me if they could fund me. But they can't. And after interacting personally with other PIs whose research I find interesting who could fund me, I can certify there's no way I'd work for any of them.

------------

In response to some other suggestions:

-most overseas programs require you to pay. the only reason i'm here is because the NIH is funding me. i can't afford this on my own.
    -it's nearly impossible in this field to take time off- someone will publish the same thing you're working on and you will have lost everything. you have to have good papers as a phd, your career in science depends on it.
    -sure, i've got the smarts required to do this. my body just can't take this kind of stress. if i were in another lab it wouldn't even be an issue. but here, another couple of years and i'll just add to the number of graduate students who have spent quite a bit of time in the hospital and can't work more than 6 hours a day without getting sick. what kind of job will that get me?
    -there is little emphasis on compensation. my life isn't for sale. i just need to make sure that if i leave i could get a job, and that said job would pay enough to cover all additional expenses associated with leaving college (aka no more loan deferrals) and moving cross-country while keeping us comfortable.

I know I'll change my mind on this 6 or 7 times before I reach a point where I can leave. Who knows, by then maybe things will have improved. Maybe they'll be so bad the answer will be obvious immediately. I never can tell nowadays... <_<

2. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Galaxee

None of use can tell you what to do becasue you are going to have to live with the decision.. But don't allow short term comfort or reasoning from keeping you from doing what you really want to do.

If you really want to do some thing you will find a way to do it.

What were your goals when you started and have they changed?

I know its a tough decision but this is an opportunity go get to really know yourself better.

Good Luck!

3. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Galaxee,

I can relate better than you might think. I got my PhD in Pharmacology and Toxicology back in 1980. I would plead with you to get the PhD. A masters degree is easier and quicker but you will never regret getting a PhD. You will progress faster and have many more opportunities than a masters. Over the years I've had many of both working with me (for me). Many times I had to fight with my management to promote a masters degreed person. For some positions you wouldn't even be considered because they're that conscious of the initials. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further if you'd like. I can almost guarantee that a master's in pharmacology will doom you to a life as a slightly higher level technician. If you want to contact me directly, let me know and I'll give you personal email address. I'll leave you with this thought that is lost on most. Many times in life we're faced the opportunity of short term pain for a long term gain. Most don't recognize it for what it is. This is where you're at right now. It really wouldn't be that much longer for a PhD and in the grand scheme of things, it is a short period of time. As I said, you'll never regret getting the PhD but you may soon regret not getting it...

4. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here, goto www.amazon.com and search "Rogaine For Women."

That should fix one problem, the rest are up to you. :)

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Update:

Thanks to Popoff for reminding me to post an update to this thread.

I've decided to stick it out. It's come to my attention that graduate school is about being stubborn and sticking to your guns, no matter what kind of political/other crap is flying in the air around you. Not only will it teach me how to deal with that crap for the future, but it'll put me in a better job later in life. And damn it, I'm no quitter which is why I had such a hard time with the decision in the first place.

Apparently my deteriorating appearance has led to a little sympathy on my boss's part. He has lightened up on me, for the time being.

And strangely enough, as soon as he quit putting so much high pressure on me, my experiments started to work beautifully. So not only have I acquired new resolve, but my nerdy inner scientist is being rewarded with interesting data to analyze and ponder over. And now that I look at it, I can't abandon this project. It just took an interesting turn and I just thought of a million things I'd like to test.

So thanks for the discussion and the input. I'll be here for another few years if ya need me ;)

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    good on ya. and remember:

1. don't sweat the small stuff.
    2. it's all small stuff.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good for you.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

We were going to mention it too.... :)

Glad you've decided....

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks guys. and ESPECIALLY thanks to bigdaddy... :lol: :rolleyes:

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

And for god's sake, whatever you do, do NOT show the boss your sparkly Zaino'd Prius. The boss is going to think you have wayyyyy too much time on your hands. B)

11. Bionic

Bionic New Member

Didn't see this thread before... I'm a grad. student in Biochem, and I would have recommended you stick it out. You'll thank yourself for the rest of your life.

Glad to hear you decided to stay!

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know someone who stuck it out for a long time... 3 phds and 2 other degrees.. masters i guess? anyways... he's an encryptionalogist... (good field apparently).. his job as now payed off in a really nice way.. he makes over 500k a year, not including benifits, or stock, or anything else... it's more like 600k a year.. and a sign on bonus over 1.6 milllion dollars... so... 3 years?... eh.. i hear it pays off well for each degree you get.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would go for the Masters unless 1) Your field requires a PhD or 2) You want to stay in academia. In most fields Masters and Ph.D's as well as BS get the same type of jobs and I don't think it comes down to education how long you will go in the corporate world. WHen I was in school I was bored and I'm happy I just went for a B.S.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Take the Master's. Skip the PostDoc, rake in the money.

Nate

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make a decision.

Your body will tell you if its the right one.

If you decide to leave it at a masters and you are sleepless and a little off....you probably want to go for the PhD.

If you decide to go for the PhD and you're cranky and irritable....you probably really want the masters.

If you make a decision and you suddenly feel light and elated and that a weight has been lifted....you chose the right one.

That's the best I can give you.

I'm working on my second master's now. I'm considering stopping at my Library Media Teacher's credential, as that's really all I need to be highly qualified....but if I go another year, three more classes will give me a masters. But it's another year and it's another $2,000. $2,000 I really don't have. And the second masters won't move me up on the salary schedule or give me any advancement. Nothing. The only value it has is if I want to work after I retire....I can get hired by any library, public or private. But I'm not sure I want to work after I retire. When I retire I want to NOT work. So I'll have to make a decision by June, July, August..whenever fall registration is.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks guys...

and squid, what did you say and edit out this time...?

i've found a much happier lab home, a much better mentor, and landed at just the right time to snap up a fantastic project to do my thesis work.

i know i made the right decision leaving my last lab, as a lot of the serious stress-related health issues have since become minimal.

so a phd it is. and i'm going to try like hell to avoid a postdoc. at least in academia.

18. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Good Luck! May you you find the perfect job after all your hard work!

Lisa