1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mattress in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by psikot, Jan 17, 2008.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i am in need of a box spring for my mattress and was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience about how to fit a twin or double or queen size box spring into the cargo area? Thanks

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I actually fit a full-size, single box and mattress into my 2004 Prius, but it left little front legroom to transport them between CT and NJ. My DW (5' 1") could still drive and I could contort into the passenger seat (barely). Your only other options would be to rent another vehicle or get a roof-top carrier and drive very slowly.

JeffD

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I'm surprised you were able to squeeze in a full size mattress & boxspring, your wife and yourself!

But it sounds like you didn't have room to spare. So my guess is:

-- a thicker full size mattress & boxspring woud not fit at the same time

-- a queen size mattress & boxspring would not fit at the same time

-- maybe a queen size mattress or a queen size boxspring would not fit alone.

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rent a trailer. (if you have a hitch)
    Or have the place deliver. Most self respecting matress places deliver if you buy a set.
    You can't really through them on top because the roof will prbably dent.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    usbseawolf2000,

That's a thick twin size mattress and boxspring in the pictures, right?

7. psikot

psikot New Member

usbseawolf2000, nice pics!! what size are the mattresses?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BOO is right. First I thought it was kid size because it was for my 2.5 years old niece. I asked my sis and it is confirmed to be adult twins size.

9. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I tried it on my 2012 Prius, it's a single/twin bed box spring. 75"x39" I will drive awkward and the steering wheel is maybe 10" away from my chest, but it fits with the hatch door closed completely. Looks like the Prius 39" interrior width is designed for just this bed.

Attached Files:

10. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's impossible to fit a queen size box spring into a Prius...I couldn't even fit it into a full size minivan. The mattress I could squeeze in because it had a little give, but the queen size box spring was completely impossible. In a minivan. There's no way it would fit into a Prius. (And I've transported an Ikea couch inside my Prius, I'm not ripping on it, the space just isn't there.)

If you're buying it, you can get them to deliver it. If you are transporting someone else's, you can rent a van from UHaul and if it's a short trip it only costs around $30. (If you rent the Van, not one of the full size trucks). Though I would ask or measure to make sure the mattress would fit first.

11. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P.S. I just ran across someone who fit a "split" box frame into their Prius here:
    Whats the most you've hauled in your prius? | Page 4 | PriusChat

However, since it still wouldn't fit a mattress, I'd still just have the whole thing delivered or rent a truck of the appropriate size.

Note: I have transported **almost** everything I own in the Prius at various times. But some stuff is just to big for most regular vehicles - a 50" tv (when they came in bigger boxes) only barely fit in a spacious minivan, ditto with my kitchen table, my couch does actually fit because it's from IKEA so I can take it apart.

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A 55in TV fits in the Prius perfectly. I've transported this a couple times. A 50in TV is the maximum that fits in the Leaf because of the weird fluted shapes on the rear hatch making the opening smaller. If you could teleport a 55in through the hatch opening, it would fit in the Leaf too, but oh well. The Prius is the hauler!

I've also put a full size bathtub in it with the hatch closed, still in the box brand new from the store :)

13. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 50" tv was from many years ago, came in a huge box, and they didn't want to allow me to transport it home on it's side. It definitely did not fit - while still in the box - upright and in the box, into a Prius. Barely fit in a minivan, won't fit (again in the box and upright) into my dad's SUV either.

If you transport a tv on it's side and not in the box, it might fit. You say it does, so I assume that's how you transported it right?

I was able to fit a IKEA Karlstead Sofa and Chase Lounge in my Prius -
    Whats the most you've hauled in your prius? | Page 5 | PriusChat

But the 50" hdtv, upright, and in the original box (I think they make the boxes smaller now actually) there was no way it was going to fit...

14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    55in on its side. Boxed from shipping. Buy it online, they deliver to a commercial loading dock (at work) then I put it in the Prius and go home. So it is a TV inside foam, inside a box, inside foam and cardboard spikes, inside another bigger double walled cardboard box. Probably an extra 2-3 inches in all dimensions.

15. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind - I think the case might have been that there was a real reason not to transport plasma tv's on their sides, so they didn't let you do it with lcd's either. Or they just wanted an excuse to charge shipping charges.

Yeah the boxes for tv's now are a lot smaller than they were when I bought mine. Mine is at least 4 inches bigger on each side from the box and styrofoam padding, might be 6 inches. I actually keep the original box and styrofoam for moving - have been thinking of buying a whole new tv just for the smaller packaging, lol. But I am kind of serious (there's some other minor reasons to upgrade as well to be fair).

I'll keep your comment in mind the next time I or someone I know buys a tv and wants to move it without paying for delivery. :)

16. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would put it on top! Unthread the antenna, center the mattress(s) on top and then strap them through the door openings.

j12piprius likes this.