1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Max MPG Driving Techniques Youtube Video

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RadioMan, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pin those on the EPA's federally required ratings scale, not on a car maker's advertising. The car makers are prohibited from advertising any other numbers. And of course, they love to herald any good numbers from the EPA.

Also, the Prius' EPA City numbers being higher than Highway is mostly an artifact of tests designed for traditional non-hybrids. Your results will depend on the particular details of your use. Almost nobody's driving matches those EPA test definitions. As the ratings say, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Your average speed is quite low. Do you spend a lot of time stationary at stoplights and stop signs with A/C turned on? Are your trips too short to get much time on a fully warmed engine?

Check out this questionnaire for more ideas. It covers most of the common issues. The biggest item missing is brake pad drag on older cars. If you post a reply with written answers to help give us more clues, please start a fresh new thread in this forum.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new

2. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Fuzzy1 for respond..

All those 502 miles of full tank gas used without A/C on. some slightly up hill and down hill to work daily include SoCal Freeway 75+ mph drive. All was used with this Video trick to avoid stoplight and few stop sign as possible. I also see those on 700 miles clubs are 20~29mph averagely, but they did 100 miles trip not 500+ miles trip to show the full tank of gas used. Only Grit showed his 650+ trip on 64mpg with average 34mph highway drive. Just want to improve few more mpg will be happy. can not request too much for an used prius has 94K miles on.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't gone back to re-watch the original video here since it was posted nearly a decade ago. Too long.

But I must point out that 75+ mph speeds are incompatible with high MPGs. If a meaningful fraction of your commute is at that speed, then you simply must lower your expectations. Take a look at this MPG-vs-speed chart:

Updated MPG vs MPH chart | PriusChat

Look at how sharply MPG falls with speed. Top speed in the EPA Highway test cycle is just 60 MPH, while average speed is closer to 48 MPH. The City test is slower still.

CR94 and jerrymildred like this.
  4. PRIUS FOR EVERYONE hum...

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very informative. I tried this out on a trip to Walmart. Challenging for me but I can work on it more. It may not always be easy due to traffic