1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Max MPG techniques?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sib1013, Nov 17, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, it's not a constant 75-80, and I've only drive n 250 miles so far. I do vary it quite a bit. Short periods of high speed driving are OK.

Today cars engines are of such high tolerances that break in is much quicker and not as involved as in the old days. There are a lot of old techniques that aren't applicable today, sorta like pulsing the brakes like many old timers do.

Also, the CVT makes the usual break in difficult, as it keeps the engine at or near it's peak power regardless of speed.

My break in is accepatable as far as I'm concerned.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Were not "a bit slow" we are in the stone age as far as weights and measures go. Fortunately we are catching up and in some areas we are totally up to speed, that is areas such as electronics, medical, some of our manufacturing, etc.

The conversions should be fairly easy, I don't have them on the top of my head. I bet some of our Canadian friends do though.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey! My car gets 40 rods to the hog's head and that's the way I likes it! :p :p :p

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, your battery should be fine. The state of charge (SOC) of the battery is tightly controlled by the car. The SOC is only allowed to vary between 40 - 80% to prolong the life of the battery. So even if you "tap it out" you're really only taking it down to 40%, not 0%.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I grew up with the metric system in Norway, and once you get used to it, the conversions are quite easy. There are only a few key numbers you need to remember to be able to do all the conversions, 2.2, 1.6, 3.8, 2.54, etc.

2.2 pounds per kilo
    1.6 km per mile
    3.8 liters per gallon
    2.54 cm per inch
    ...and so on.

Just memorize the key numbers of the conversion you would need most frequently and you're done. Actually very simple.

50 mpg --> ??lpk

(50 * 1.6)/3.8 = 21.1 liters per kilometer

6. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    DocVijay,

I do not suspect that you are getting 21.1 liters per kilometer :)

At the same time... you didn't start out with 50 gallons/mile. ;)

/Jim

7. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

I found this convertor you can plug numbers into and it'll give you US and UK MPG equivalents.... handy :)

according to it Im getting 46mpg, so Im happy with that, considering its summer here and Ive had the a/c on more than usual :)

http://www.garfnet.org.uk/tools/index.htm?convert.htm

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Even if you do go by the old rules... if you break in a car easy.. it will be a wuss of a car in the area of performance!... break it in hard on the edge of its high tolerances and it will always run well like a scaleded dog!... sorry a little southern slang there! :rolleyes: