1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

max MPG without EBH or other mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by psikot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i just passed 1,000 miles with a max tank of 400 miles at 45 MPG. what is the max MPG without heaters or modifications? post best MPG for a "stock prius".

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For who, what routes, what speeds, what terrain, what temps?
    The Marathoners got ~115mpg on a stock Prius during the marathon.
    I routinely averaged 54mpg/year without mods, up to ~60/yr with the EBH use.

But none of that means anything for you. It depends upon a great many variables. 45 isn't bad, but you've told us nothing about what kind of driving you do.

Cleanmpg.com has a nice list of various mpgs as does greenhybrid.com so you can see the bell-shaped curve with extremes and averages/means.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 9 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]523156[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, define "stock prius" and "without modifications".

Does it matter which feature package?
    If the windows are tinted is it no longer "stock"?
    What if I run the tires at their sidewall rating?
    Does removing the trim rings mean it isn't "stock"?
    If I change the SKS unlock to unlock all doors is it still "stock"?
    How about if I turn off the seatbelt beep or the backup beep?

Are you looking for lifetime MPG, tank MPG, or trip MPG?

Do you care about distance traveled?

So many more questions.

I had an EBH installed about 3 weeks ago. If you click the link in my sig, you can see that prior to installing the EBH my best tank was 84 MPG. My average was 55.5 MPG.

Useless information I can add: My best trip was 99.9 MPG.

4. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

Most of my driving is a commute I make from central NJ to Brooklyn. There's some highway, some residential, varying amounts of traffic on both totaling about 85 miles a day and I've made the trip about 20 times so far in a 2007 package 5. No modifications whatsoever yet. Not even extra air in the tires.

The commute is typically 52mpg to 55mpg though I have hit 58 and 60 on 2 of the 40 individual trips and was around 50 and 51 on 3 or 4 occasions. Worst commutes are the under 5 minute variety with numbers closer to mid 30's to low 40's.

5. chuck kershner

chuck kershner New Member

My best with an '06 Prius at around 11,500 was 52.2 mpg over 670 miles (about 12 gallons) mainly on 4-lane thruway in New York, Mass., and Conn., posted speed limits or a few miles above. No quick starts/stops or foot-to-the-floor passing. Temps in uppers 70s, low 80s, little headwind, not much steep up/down roadways. No mods. I just get in and drive. This is a wonderful vehicle to simply enjoy without obsessing over mileage per gallon and other non-essential issues in life and living.

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My average MPG "right out of the box" on my Prius was around 48 MPG.

During the summer months it'd keep at 50 MPG, even with the air conditioner running (on the lowest setting).

I've now hit - for the first time - 53 MPG. No mods to the Prius, no overinflated tires, no blood sacrifices to the Mileage Gods - just pulse & glides, moderate temperatures and mileage friendly commute).

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is as close to stock as s**t is to swearing and I get 4.3L/100km (54.70mpg) across metropolitan Adelaide with a daily commute of 34 km each way and 40 sets of traffic lights to negotiate each way.
    Wheel trims off, tyres at 42/40 sheepskin seat covers, shark fin antenna, mudflaps and cheap floor mats.
    On a trip at highway speeds of 110km/h and passing at up to 160km/h I averaged 5.2L/100km (45.23mpg)

8. psikot

psikot New Member

i cant afford the EBH, so the idea was, all things being equal is it possible to have 80, 70 or 60 mpg in the real world conditions of San Jose, CA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R @ Oct 9 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]523174[/snapback]</div>

how often is it to get 60mpg on 1 tank, no EBH

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hanging on to 68mpg right now without an EBH. 60 on the highway isn't too tough to achieve by keeping speeds down. 45mpg either means you're running really short trips or you need to spend some more time letting the car break in and learning how to take advantage of a few tricks in your daily driving.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 11 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]524260[/snapback]</div>
    I'm confused....nothing new.
    But, do you have a Prius or not?
    I not then if you can't afford a $40 EBH how on earth do you hope to be able to afford a ~$25k car? The EBH is barely more than a tank of gas...I estimate with my EBH that I saved ~27 gallons of gas last year...around $75...so it more than paid for itself.

Have you looked at the stickies on this Fuel Economy forum? Whether you can get 60mpg or 70mpg without an EBH is highly dependent upon many factors, none of which have you revealed to us...though the info about where you live help a little.

How far is your commute? How much of it is freeway speed? How much stop & go? How much rural? Are you amenable to changing your driving habits and staying at or a little below the limit? Are you willing to anticipate and roll up to stops instead of braking late as you approach it? Are you willing to increase your following distance? Are you willing to put higher pressure in the tires than the manufacturer recommends? How many extra short trips do you end up doing in a given week?

There are so many variables and your mpg can vary by 15mpg above or below the 55mpg mark depending upon where your habits place you.

11. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 11 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]524260[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you may be comforted by the fact that the Prius already has a built-in "EBH", which consists of a coolant heat storage tank that is able to store hot coolant at 176 F for three days. This coolant gets pumped into the engine on cold starts. Read about it here - http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid04.pdf, p.10.

But if you really want to squeeze all mpg that you can out of the car, and think that another EBH can do it, forego one restaurant meal this month and use the money to buy the additional EBH. It might work for you.

12. scottyd

scottyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 9 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]523156[/snapback]</div>
    I drive a totally unmodified 2004 over a 30-minute-each-way commute, and I have had several 70-MPG tanks this summer. My best one was 72.7, and I'm never below 68 (in warm weather...). What really makes the difference, however, (like efusco says) is the terrain and roadway conditions you normally encounter. I have the luxury of a long, level stretch of suburban two-lane roadway with a 30-MPH speed limit and no stop lights that makes up more than half the daily run. Perfect for pulse & glide driving.

-scottyd

13. alexcbrown

alexcbrown New Member

Here in the UK I commute across Milton Keynes (12 miles /25 min) which is mostly slow traffic with roundabouts every mile or so where I often have to stop. This gets me around 55mpg. The best I have done is an 80 mile journey along the old A4 into Hook, Hants, then around the M25 and up the M1 motorway into Luton, then back home across country on the A6 route. This achieved a 65mpg return...(!)

If you drive the Prius like a normal vehicle and don't lift off the gas (accelerator), when at cruising speed, and then reapply gentle pressure to "pulse and glide", you simply won't get near 50 mpg. I am not sure why but the car seems to learn how you drive, so practice the above and you should see the MPG climb.

Alex

:D

14. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

I am in L.A. and drive 7 miles each way to work. Mine is an 07 and I am averaging 49.6 currently. I was at 42 there for a while, but after practicing P+G and choosing the best routes, I am increasing it. My goal is 50 MPG. You learn after a while how to predict lights, trafiic, etc, without holding up the flow of traffic. So far I haven't been harassed so I must be doing well. And no flooring it.... :rolleyes:

15. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another way of looking at it is how many Miles Per Tank - with the mpg just a guide to how well I'm doing on a daily/journey basis.
    My fill ups last me about a month and this summer I had three 600+ miles tanks at an average of 70UKmpg +/- .
    I think its a better measure than just mpg 'cos at weekends I have the shopping commute which is just a couple of miles and it kills my mpg - in fact it takes 2-3 days to make up what I lost.
    I'm expecting it to drop off now the cold is coming, and its getting darker anyway. Last winter I dropped to 64UKmpg.

The other thing is that when I got my black beauty 'EVie' in 2005 I had to pay £60 (120$ approx) road licence. Last year it had dropped to £30 and this year they want just £15.... ;)

My commute is 12 miles each way ( stopping every 1/4 mile or so) - I try to have the ICE warmed up between garage to main road - takes about a minute - then its P&G right away.

16. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scottyd @ Oct 17 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]526991[/snapback]</div>
    Lucky Bum. :angry:

17. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 9 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]523156[/snapback]</div>
    Start by letting the car "Break In" for at least 5000miles. As far as a "stock" Prius goes the best thing you can do to increase mileage without any kind of modification is to add pressure to your tires (I do not consider airing tires a mod). Depending what is in your tires now you can gain 5mpg or more just going to 40/38 or 42/40 front/rear. Give it a try its just air and can be free!

18. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your milage is directly influenced by driving conditions and your driving style. If your stuck in a ~20mph (which happens to be the most efficient speed of the prius II) congested highway and you NEVER use the brakes, you can get over 100mpg in a prius that has just been delivered from a dealer.

However, if your in the same situation and you do alot of jackrabbit stop and go's, your can easily get 10mpg.