1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Max speed in Neutral allowed by Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Maxwell61, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Someone could kindly take a look on the Prius C user's manual about the max recommended speed of the car in Neutral?

There's any difference in coasting in Neutral relative to older Prius gens (apart max speed)?

Thanks
    Max

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    having the car in neutral doesn't do anything... and takes away any ability for the car to recharge the traction battery...

coasting in neutral can actually hurt your mileage.. the best method is to "glide" if you're looking for something along those lines..

and.. there's no max speed for a car in neutral.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Incorrect. In the Prius, if you enter neutral with the engine off (below 42mph) and then glide in neutral to above 42mph, you will be over-revving an MG causing damage. This can be done easily by gliding down a hill and gaining speed.

1 person likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ This is the GenII threshold. The standard GenIII threshold is 46 mph.

I believe OP's question is, what is the corresponding figure for the Prius c? Because of powertrain and gearing changes, it seems unreasonable to assume that 'c' and 'v' thresholds are the same as either prior version.

5. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what i meant as max speed allowed, i.e. without crashing MG2 (i think or MG1 dont remember) for overrevving..... On our italian Prius forum i've been told GenII, have a threshold at 70 km/h (43,5 mph) and gen III at 100 km/h (62 mph).

This is what i thought fuzzy, hence my question, but probably the answer can come only from a Prius C user that used to own some previous Prius gen and is already into HSD misteries. :)

Of course i posed the question to exploit a condition of coasting in neutral with the engine off. I know many people does'nt recommend to drive in this condition and in US is even unlawful in some state, but this is not the discussion i was willing to make here.

I found out the Prius C owner manual here in the forum and read it but sadly i found no clue for an answer. I'm wondering how older Prius gens owners determined the said speed. Toaster how do you know the 42 mph figure?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just a bit of clarification, in my Gen 2, I can use Neutral at any speed.

What I should not do is go into Neutral below 41 MPH and let the car speed up above 41 MPH. It cannot start the engine in that one scenario, and it should.

It is OK to use Neutral above 41, it is OK to use Neutral below 41, and it is OK to coast down from above 41 to less than 41. Just don't speed up.

(Someone with a c could try to cruise at different speeds and discover what the fastest you can go on battery alone is, that is your threshold speed)

1 person likes this.
  7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, thanks for pointing out precisely, i see many owners of Prius C new to the hybrid world in the forum, its wise to warn about it.
    Nonetheless, it would be interesting to know what is the speed threshold for the Prius C revised HSD.

8. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    oh.. that that point.. i do believe it is 45 mph before the ICE is needed to come on to protect MG1

1 person likes this.
  9. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Squall, and sorry if i was a bit criptic in my request. How did you evaluted the 45 mph?

10. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    it seems to be the borderline that I have noticed while I'm doing pulse and gliding where I can get the ICE to stay off and stay in EV mode.

anything faster and the ICE comes on.

11. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    here is my minority opinion: dont do it! whats the point. nothing gained. may mess with the car a little. what is the point. sorry, i could not hold back any longer. lets see now... can i shut off my car at 65 mph and gain anything. maybe a new thread.:):)

1 person likes this.