1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maximum coolant temp for Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ecoboxer, Nov 17, 2017.

1. ecoboxer

ecoboxer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey guys, I recently made a custom grill block for my C for the winter months. I have blocked off the top and bottom grills and have been monitoring the coolant temperature with an ultragauge.

In current November weather (6°C/43°F) I have found that during average driving on main roads my coolant stays around 85°C(185°F) and drops down to 70° at red lights. Driving on the highway, the temperature goes up to around 90-95°C(195-203°F).

My question is, how high can coolant temp go before I should be concerned? I read here that the radiator fan turns on at 100°C(212°F). What temperature should I aim for? I might add holes in the upper grill block, particularly on the left side where there is a channel that feeds cold air to the ICE intake.

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Getting air to the inverter (lower grill) is the most important thing, honestly. Make a small hole and see how that works out for the overall temp.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This.

Are you monitoring inverter coolant temperatures? I would verify where the inverter radiator is, and to be safest, don't block that zone. Or at the most, block 50%.

My inclination would be:

50% block of zone other than inverter radiator, between +7C and 0C, and 100% block of same zone, below 0C.