1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maximum EV range

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by plchung, Apr 18, 2012.

1. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got my PIP last week and is happy driving it so far. I noticed that when I fully charge battery, the EV range is about 12.8 miles. Paradox said in one post that the computer adjusts the estimated EV distance according to past driving. So I went to check Toyota website... now Toyota website says that the maximum EV range is "11 miles"!

I remember that the test model from last year has an EV range of 13 miles. Then when the production model was announced to public at the end of last year, toyota claimed to have 15 miles EV range. So what makes the difference in EV range? Did toyota run another test and found out the difference ?

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The test mule/prototype had a larger battery. It was 5.2 kWh versus the 4.4 kWh in the production model, IIRC. However, the prototype was also 200 lbs heavier?

I don't think Toyota ever definitively said 15 miles. I think it was always something like "about 15 miles". When they changed the description to "11 miles", I'm sure they were just being more conservative, most likely for legal reasons.

Don't worry too much about the EV range estimate. I think the record holder for pure EV mies is iRun. He went 19.2 EV miles, if I recall correctly. My normal commute, which includes a lot of stop and go and some stretches at 50-55MPH, would last about 14.5-15.0 EV miles on a single charge.

3. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I once got 17.3 miles on a charge (not 19.2 miles). It was a slow drive from my garage back to my garage on side streets near my house.

If you can ever get 15 miles driving 55 mph... that would be amazing!

1 person likes this.
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've done about 500 miles in EV now and my ev mileage after charging is at 14.5.

But this is mainly because I leave very early for work and can maintain one constant speed for much of the commute and I hit the lights timed so no stopping alot of the way. For normal city driving I'd say 11 to 12 is a realistic number you can get without having the engined come on. My dads is somewhere in the low 11s after a charge.

EVO 4G

5. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine seems to be settling at about 12.3.

6. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Paradox,

What speed were you typically driving when you achieved your high EV mile average?

7. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for explanation, Tracksyde. I also noticed that when I turn on AC, the EV will drop about 1.0 mile. So i have been driving with window opened to extend the EV range. But that will not last long as the hot weather is coming soon in southern CA.

8. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you want maximum EV range - you've bought the wrong car.

I bought a leaf because it would have annoyed me to no end to have the engine start .5miles from my home after my 14.2mile (RT) commute. (My second family car is already a prius). I think John (1701a) has the right idea for the the PiP. Just drive it. Don't worry if you use a tablespoon or two of gas on your medium length trips. The short slow trips can be EV, the long trips are 50+mpg and in between is gravy.

2 people like this.
  9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Around an avg of 30mph.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hey! Then I'm pretty jazzed ... my all time best, I got 19.6 EV miles 50/50 city & freeway doing no more than 55mph. (ok so it was the bigger test mule battery :) )

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Would anyone else who had the chance to drive the 2010 demo Plug-in liked to see a larger battery in our production cars but lose that cubby space they made in the trunk to store the charger and other stuff? I would be willing to give up that space in a hearbeat, and even have the floor in the trunk raised an inch like it was in the demo car if it could have meant something like 2-3 more miles of range.

1 person likes this.
  12. dionlbc

dionlbc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd also take the extra battery power over the cubby holes. I'm looking forward to all you car geek engineer types to come up with plug-and-play battery extension packs. I'll be first in line.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd even be willing to give up the spare tire. Oh, wait, never mind... I'm sure everybody would give up the space for more battery, but battery costs more than "space." We'd give up space and pay more, and then it would be a Chevy Volt, which has double the battery, over $5,000 higher cost, no room for a fifth passenger, and I wouldn't go for that, even with Prius's 50 MPG ICE performance.

I think Volt is very cool. There are a ton of Volt owners who get over 1,000 miles on a tank of gas, and many who just don't buy gas at all. To be honest, Plug-in Prius just isn't in that league, but I still think Prius is better overall.

14. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm curious... When you get this much range, does the Fuel Saved go up to 0.3G or higher? I've only ever seen 0G, 0.1G, and 0.2G and I'm wondering if it goes higher based on distance traveled, or if it only displays those three values based on the percentage of the battery used. I wish it displayed at least two decimal places. Maybe it makes more sense in liters.

I think that making the battery a bit larger would have been reasonable in terms of cost for the Advanced trim and made it a more compelling in terms of value.

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I only said the space they added over the demo car where we now can store the charger and some other small crap like the toneau cover. Losing that would hardly make the car a Volt lol. At least I can still fit 3 comfortably in the back seat.

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

And that's something I know I expressed some time ago. Give the option for a larger battery for those willing to pay for it knowing the trunk layout would have to be different to accommodate for it, like loosing a storage 'hole' or raising the floor an inch or two. Yes, it adds an option to a car they obviously wanted to keep 'simple' since there are only 2 models flat but those who spent for an advanced probably would have liked to see or would have given up something to have a larger battery make up for it.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    um ... hardly ... because the Prius has the 'quality' umbrella of Toyota. GM is still playing catch up when it comes to their quality reputation. Then, there's the 5 seater versus 4 seater thing. and Simply adding 3 to 5 kWh of battery, still falls short of Volts way bigger battery.

18. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thats a good question. I havent been paying much attention to the EV ratio screen (I'm using one for "lifetime" and one for "current tank", for now). I would also like to understand how the "Fuel Saved" number is calculated. I'll keep my eye on it and report back.

19. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, this has been brought up a few times. It looks like if you simply turn on the fan (with AC or without), your EV range estimate will drop by some percentage (maybe around 8%-10%?). I was actually just thinking about this in the morning. I'm going to drive home today with the AC on (in Eco mode) to see how it affects my EV range,

1 person likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i turned the fan on today and the range went down .1 mile. when i turned it off, it went back up .1 mile.