1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

May 21, 2011. The date of the Rapture.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 3, 2011.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, no change except the self righteous twits will be gone.:cool:

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was this one: :boom:

btw, what's the theory on what happens in 2012? Does Earth go poof then? :rolleyes:

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apparently you have not heard of the word omniscient. God is not limited to our little realm of senses. Try to think outside the box D.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what about those who worship in fear of agw? isn't the apocolypse in 10 or 15 years at best?

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which AGW are we referring to...

AGWAnthropogenic Global WarmingAGWAnti-Global WarmingAGWAccess GatewayAGWAtmospheric Gravity WavesAGWArt Gallery of Windsor (Ontario, Canada)AGWAll Going WellAGWAccelerated Global WarmingAGWActual Gold WeightAGWApplication Gateway (telecom)AGWAlt.Games.Warbirds (forum)AGWA Girl's World (online magazine)AGWActual Gross WeightAGWAmerican Wire GaugeAGWAutomatic Girth WelderAGWAutonomous Guided WeaponAGWAllowable Gross WeightAGWAnganwadi Worker (India)AGWAccident Generated Water

Just wondering[​IMG]

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm a born-n-raised Hoosier, graduated from IUB. Bob&Tom defined the 500 experience and the entire month of May for me. I spent three races in the Snakepit and one in Turn 3.

I know exactly where you're coming from.

These days, though, I'm more concerned about not being able to see the rest of the Cubbies' undefeated season culminating in a 4-game World Series sweep.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Down at the Rapture.

Attached Files:

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our wedding anniversary is May 22.

DH is NOT getting away with "forgetting" it, either ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is true. I once asked if God could make an album so terrible that He Himself couldn't listen to it, and the next day the Black Eyed Peas released a new album.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As Hyo points out, if the rapture comes, I'm definitely one of those who will be left behind. So I'll still be wanting my cars. But I will give you a lift if I see you hitchhiking.

Oh, and on May 12 when the Mayan calendar ends, what happens is it starts over again. Kind of like your alarm clock. When it comes around to midnight, it starts over again with 12:01 a.m.

Yes, I've heard the word "omniscient." But I think you fail to understand quantum mechanics. QM cannot prove that there's no creator. But it does prove that not even an "omniscient" creator can know the future because the future is indeterminate. That is, your god, if he exists, may know everything; but QM proves that the future is not part of "everything." It is a linguistic fallacy that leads you astray. Language allows us to make statements that have no counterpart in the real world.

An example of this would be the silly question: "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?" The problem is that there is no such thing as either of those. Language allows us to make statements implying that "the future" is a thing, or that "what will be" is analogous to "what has been." But these are false comparisons. There is no such thing as "what will be." There is only "what is" and "what has been."

It's not so much that "you cannot know the future;" rather what you need to understand is that there is no such thing as the future. Like most of QM, this is counter-intuitive, but what it proves is that someone who "knows everything" (is omniscient) still does not know the future because the future simply does not yet exist. The future is not part of "everything." The future cannot be known, even by an all-knowing god, because it does not exist yet.

It is just one more example, among many, of how the failure to understand science and logic leads religious thinkers into nonsense. A good deal of religion is meaningless gibberish, and knowledge of "the future" is one more example. It goes beyond "religion is wrong." Religion makes statements that actually don't even mean anything.

1 person likes this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In a small way I understand what your are saying. But how could you apply any laws to a something that has created the entire universe? Doesn't that defy everything (scientific laws, etc) we know? Of course it does. So what is your point? Either you except by faith or you don't. We know where your stand.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Either you accept reality or you don't.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Daniel stands where all realists stand on this issue.
    I like this statement: -
    Yes that defies everything we know to be true, that is why thinking people call crap when god botherers say these things.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Either you understand what's actually being said, and recognize when the words have no actual meaning, or you believe that meaningless concepts can have some reality.

We're not asking whether or not there's a creator. I believe there's not, but that's not the subject under discussion here. We're asking whether certain statements about that creator actually mean anything. The sentence "God knows the future" does not actually MEAN anything. Just as the sentence "Grocery composite cardboard fly by garbage truck" doesn't mean anything. The difference is that the first sentence look as though it means something because of a common misunderstanding about what the concept of "future" actually means.

Let's try this. We all have fun with the question "Have you quit beating your wife yet?" You can't answer yes, and you can't answer no, even though the question demands a yes or no answer. All you can say is that the question is false.

But what about if I ask: "Does god know whether you've quit beating your wife yet? Either he does or he does not. Since god knows everything, then god knows whether you've quit beating your wife yet."

Does that make the issue more clear? Maybe god knows everything, but "whether or not you've quit beating your wife yet" does not exist within the universe of "everything" which is to be known, because the statement, which appears to mean something really means nothing (assuming you've never beaten your wife, which I am sure you have not.) So the statement has no meaning. It's not really a question of whether or not god knows everything. Let's assume that he exists and that he does. He still does not know "whether or not you've quit beating you wife" because there is no such thing as "whether or not you've quit" doing something you've never done. This god person knows everything there is to be known, but unless you have beaten your wife, there is no such thing as quitting.

What QM tells us, is that "the future" is as unreal, as non-existent, as whether or not you've "quit" doing something that you never did. Sentences with "the future" in the context of "knowing" simply do not mean anything. When you say that god knows the future, you are not actually saying anything. You are uttering gibberish. Not because there's something god does not know, but because you are giving a non-existent and meaningless concept the attribute of knowability.

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that would definitely be a sign of the end-times.

Hmm, the billy-goat curse...isn't the devil typically depicted as a satyr or goat-form?

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who is "we"? Last I checked, you all are still in the minority.

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neither is QM.

Just because you can't wrap your head around something that doesn't make sense to you or QM, doesn't make impossible. Wasn't too long ago people thought we would never fly, go to the moon, etc.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I took my words from your quote. You tell us who "we" is.
    Edit: - to help I have bolded where I got the "we" from in my original post.

I guess "we" need better marketing.

19. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This Camping guy is a whacko. In 1993 someone I know very well gave me a book written by him. The title of the book? Nineteen Ninetyfour. In that book he said that the world would end in 1994. I leafed through it for about 5 minutes and then it went into the trash where it belongs. I know there are many sincere bible believers. But this guy is messing with peoples lives. BTW the person who gave me the book still follows him. Unbelievable! I feel sorry for anyone who buys his bullshit.

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My reality is that I can have faith in something I don't understand, and not prove or disprove it with logic.

I honestly believe that we're incapable of deconstructing ourselves fully, and that's fine.

As far as Christianity goes, not all Christians believe in the idea of Rapture.