1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybach driver chatting on cellphone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Oct 23, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Oct 24 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]337657[/snapback]</div>
    A hundred thousand dollars worth of toy robotic puppies, and he's *not wealthy*?! What does it take? And I thought $200 worth of Prius toys was getting out of hand...

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]337680[/snapback]</div>
    I know I can be strident at times, so your question is understandable. But I'm really much nicer in person. I looked patiently at his pictures (on his laptop, of the engine being built) and asked in a one of curiosity. BMW's, I supposed, come with fairly large engines, So why are you spending so much money on an even larger one? A friendly question asked in a friendly surrounding.

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 24 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]337635[/snapback]</div>
    I was referring to your statement "If you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it" with my race horse comment. Money won't guarantee a winner but if you decide to race you are guaranteed to spend a lot of money and if you need to ask how much you probably can't afford it.

What was your reason behind wanting to know why he wanted a bigger engine?

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 24 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]337704[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if pressed, the other thing on my mind is that this particular question sounds a lot like ones which were asked of me by my (now former) spouse. It's quite likely I'm projecting my feelings about those exchanges on this discussion, which I know doesn't help any.

In my case, the answer wasn't what was sought after; instead, asking such a question (and, specifically, the very form of the question itself) was designed to communicate a certain predisposition. In fact, the discussion was pretty much over at that point; disapproval had been registered (without actually having to actually say the words) and that, I believe, was the real goal.

I still think your pro-Prius bias is showing, though. And, no worries...I got rid of a 993 Carrera for mine and have no complaints (other than the traction control on the Prius, which I wish could be turned off).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Oct 24 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]337657[/snapback]</div>
    Holy ^$@#$ !!!

Dang, those ran for Cdn$2k each :blink:

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Man that's a lot of Aibo's. I bet he made up about 75% of all that Sony sold! :p

And yes, "If you have to ask you can't afford it." If you truly CAN afford things, you just buy them. Price is irrelevant if you truly want it. People who can afford it don't need to know how much it costs, as they don't need to balance out their needs and wants.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Oct 24 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]337710[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree entirely with the "if you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it." I always ask how much something costs before I buy it. And I very often can afford the thing. Take art. I love art. I was in heaven when I visited Santa Fe. At first I had no idea what anything might cost, because I didn't know the art market. I had to ask! Very often, I could afford it, but didn't feel it was worth it to me, personally. Other times I had to ask in order to find out that I could afford it, and it was worth it. I ended up spending a very large sum of money. But I always had to ask how much it cost. Eventually, after asking the price of many different works, I began to get a feel for it, but I still had to ask because once in a while an exceptionally beautiful piece was priced lower than I would have thought, because some artists want to make their work available to a wider audience and sell more pieces, while other artists want to get top dollar for every piece and are willing to wait for the buyer who is willing and able to pay.

I wanted to know why he wanted a bigger engine because I am genuinely interested in understanding what motivates people whose interests, values, likes and dislikes are different from mine.

The other problem with telling someone, "if you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it." is that a person might not be asking with the intention of buying. The person might be asking simply to expand his own understanding of the market. To go back to your race horse, I know I cannot afford to mount a contender in the Kentucky Derby because I'm under the impression that champion race horces sell in the millions. But I'd be very interested to know (simply as an item of interesting trivia) what it costs to own the kind of stable that has a chance of producing a Kentucky Derby winner. Saying "you can't afford it" in answer to "how much does it cost?" is rude. It amounts to "I'm not going to tell you."
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]337711[/snapback]</div>
    Guilty as charged! I am so completely biased in favor of the Prius that I find it really difficult to understand why anybody would buy any other car, unless they cannot afford a Prius, or they need more space or hauling/towing capability.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 25 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]337955[/snapback]</div>
    Or that they simply don't want a Prius...

And to me, that's the most important reason of all.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Oct 23 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]337031[/snapback]</div>
    Naw, the driver wasn't bald and didn't have a big mustache or wearing glasses. It's kind of funny that he didn't have a bluetooth, that's for sure. People may see the Detroit area as nothing but a bunch of American car company employees but there sure seems to be a boat load of money here. This morning on the way to work, I saw one of the lower profile (more conservative looking, that is) Maseratis with a personalized license plate that read "GOES185". :rolleyes:

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    B) <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 25 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]337979[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it was Joe Walsh B)

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 25 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]337979[/snapback]</div>
    I thought *gold* teeth are what the kids get these days...and now, they're supposed to be *blue*?!?

It's so difficult keeping up with the latest trends.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 23 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]336772[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, I see your discribing 85% of the drivers on the road today. The ability for this driver to afford and choose to drive a Maybach is a good thing (it shows he's excersising his right of choice) With all the rich hating mongers that get to use thier right to bash them (the rich) because they are richer than you.. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the poor people say about prius drivers, when all they can afford is a 79 chevy or a used aveo. The day they get passed by a rich middle class prius driver? (rich meaning someone has more money than they do) <_< (A prius isn't exactly cheap) B) (Too much smugness like on South Park) ;)

Too bad I guess it holds true, some have to bash others to make themselves feel better than the person they are bashing... B)

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JackDodge has nailed the most offensive behavior on the road.

I call it the "Cell Phone Left Lunge" (and they are not looking of course)

1) You are on a freeway going 40mph or so
    2) The rightmost lane you are passing to the left is bumper-to-bumper.
    3) Self-absorbed reclined driver on phone with just left hand - fully extended on steering wheel at twelve-o'clock, jerks it to nine-o-clock. Their vehicle instantly bolts in front of you, possibly causing you to slam the brakes.

Point #3 is what infuriates me. How on Earth can laying just your left wrist on top of the steering wheel constitute control? :angry:

Last week someone did the "left lunge" right infront of me. I went left, then he did it again!!! Finally eased pasted him and when I imitated his pompous Ghetto Lean, he gave me the finger (Hey - that's what you are doing!!! - Hello?)

[​IMG]
    When you see this kind of over the top strutting daily, you know there are a lot of people that need their driver's license pulled until they successfully complete group thearpy.

14. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Oct 24 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]337657[/snapback]</div>
    Was it Furbies or Aibos also that can talk to each other? Any developing self-intelligence yet?

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Oct 26 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]338667[/snapback]</div>
    Fo shizzle B)

16. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's me in the picture.

Tried hard, but did not feel like God - how do the other guys do it? :p

It was my right wrist on the wheel, but if I had a phone it would have been the left.

I see quite a few drivers doing something like the picture, so if they need to take evasive action, they probably turn the wheel a quarter turn and before you know it - rollover.

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Oct 26 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]338667[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I see that one at least daily, although around here it's played more like

a) merge onto 540 going about 15 mph slower than traffic while concentrating intently on cell phone.

b. hang up, suddenly realize how important you are and how much of a hurry you must be in and weave through lanes going 15 mph faster than the flow of traffic.

c) slow down to 15 mph slower than traffic to answer incoming call.

d) rinse, lather, repeat. bonus points for repeating step c in far left lane.

18. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I once read this sort of driving technique referred to as the 'Rolex Drape', as in having your Rolex-encrusted left wrist draped over the top of the steering wheel as you drive. I guess the right hand would have the cellphone glued to the right ear, as well.