1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe a universal question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The driver's window came out of one of my cars. The two rubber grommets(?) that glue to the bottom and bolt to the drive motor assembly tore lose. Can that be glued back together? If so, any glue recommendations? The guy at O'Reilleys said yes, another guy who works on folks' cars in the parking lot said it's easier to just buy new grommets from the dealer, but the dealer says they don't sell those separately, only a $330 replacement window.

I can pull the window from my parts car and use it, but if it's as easy as gluing this one back together, I'd probably try that first. Is there any tricky steps to installing the window?

Also need to swap in the dash from that parts car to one of my others. Any step-by-step instructions for that? I just need to dash face, not any underlying parts, if there are such. My good car's dash is missing around the middle A/C vents.

2. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ron,

Hope you don’t take financial advice from guys in cars in front of the bank (grin).

I’m surprised O’Reilly allows a guy to work on their lot — very interesting. In all jest, honestly I think Gorilla Glue might be your best friend here. I’ve called the company directly since they have a variety of bonding agents under the Gorilla label and you’ll want to get the right one for the job under temperature extremes.

And for what it’s worth. I’d probably have inquired of the guy in the parking lot too, but I’d be very cautious with any advice. And for the women reading this .... I’ve had unfortunate occurrence that some well-meaning “car guys” just don’t understand the hybrids and can point you to “up to shit creek” if you know what I mean. Just be careful. You don’t want to cause yourself more problems. Steer clear and use your good sense.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I take free advice from anyone, anywhere, Sandy, even strangers on the internet with beautiful avatars. Whether I follow it or not is another matter. Versus strangers on the internet, the guy in the parking lot is a known quantity - he's been there 6 days a week for a couple of years, and I see him working on different cars and talk to his happy customers (with 12 cars, I'm at O'Reilly's a lot). But, I know his limitations too - there's jobs you just can't do in parking lots, and he'd never touch a hybrid or diesel (all but 3 of my cars);, but this had nothing to do with being a hybrid; windows are the same in all cars. I happened to see him replacing a driver's window a couple of weeks ago.

There's actually a couple of other guys working the parking lot as well. Since it's a strip center with several businesses, I don't think it's O'Reilly's decision whether he can do it. I know they appreciate all the parts he buys.

SYK, it's kinda the nature of this neighborhood - not the best side of town, but not the worst either.

On the outside chance that my parts car can still be salvaged, I've avoided taking parts off until now, but I'm getting close to decision time - about to put my wrecked Gen 1 in the shop - needs hood, fender, headlight and bumper; but, most importantly, it needs the apron on that corner, with has to be cut off and welded in. That would be a point of no return for my parts car.

I'll probably check the local dismantlers; they don't get much for an apron, and especially one for this car - not much demand. If I find one, they might give me a good price on the other parts too.

Maybe I'll reach out to Phil Swift, see what he recommends.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember my old Gen 1 right, the window glass isn't drilled at all, it just sits in two fixtures (maybe what you're calling grommets). They have bolt holes underneath for bolting to the regulator, and the tops are pinched-in metal channels lined with rubber, that grab the bottom edge of the glass.

It's possible that the factory glued them to the glass, but I didn't bother the one time they separated. (It was winter and my windows were frozen, and I tried to roll down the right rear, and the regulator moved down while the glass didn't, and pulled the fixtures off.)

I just took the parts out, cleaned them up nice, fit the rubber back in the channels, gave the channels a bit of extra pinch with some pliers, and smushed the glass edge back into them with a quick-grip clamp (sloooowly and carefully, as the glass is curved and probably can't take as much edge-on force as if it were flat). I bet I donned goggles first just in case, but it went uneventfully and that was that, never had another problem.

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think you're describing it correctly, but I've not taken it apart to see. I bought it with the glass in the back seat. There is rubber left on the glass, It's rippled horizontally - not sure if the metal clamp (yes, what I'm calling a grommet for no reason except it sounded good) has a rippled surface or it the rubber came apart, leaving some still on the clamp. Guess I'll actually take it apart and see - gee, what a concept!