1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe someone can help diagnose 2002 died wont start-HV batt related

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gittarpikk, Apr 22, 2023.

1. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Lotta history, suspect many bad modules, possible HV line problem but has a positive point.
    I have remanned the battery 6 or 7 times as about all I could get was worn out old modules with a little life still in them.
    car was driving but only driven maybe once a week. about 5 miles to recharge battery.
    Was loaned to family and told it needs to be driven at least once every few days but let set for weeks at a time. I retrieved car and would drive it maybe 5 miles a week.
    last time started, it started a bit rough, and I just pulled onto the road for another 'recharge' trip. It died in 100' and after 6 -7 restart attempts , smelled a little smoke and I just gave up. Rolled it into the driveway where it sat with 12v batt disconnected for maybe a year or so.
    My 2010 abs accumulator/boost pump failed so looking to see what I need to do to get the 2002 going as I don't want to drive the 2010 nor the 1994 Explorer.
    I pulled out the old Win Xp laptop with TIS on it. connected the 12v batt and ran TS.
    I was able to see that the voltages of over half the pack were shot. Maybe 6 or 7 good blocks which translates to maybe 12 to 14 good modules.
    Codes that I >think< were stored
    P3000
    P3140
    P3030
    C1521

One of those was HV line snapped.

I mentioned I smelled smoke, so maybe something popped?
    I did try to start it and it did try to grunt at least twice before it completely quit trying

Not sure if maybe the Traction battery ECU popped or a sensor wire on pack maybe.
    Game plan was to take lid off pack while in car and pull the busses separating all modules electrically and attempt to get the old modules up to a point they may at least start it.
    Most of the modules have little to no voltage so not sure if they may take a charge to get them to a point they could restart.
    first images were last reading. others were older

Attached Files:

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  2. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    gittarpikk likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You've done your job diligently six or seven times remanufacturing the pack in the driveway yeah I would say You've done what you needed to do now you have all this skill with batteries You can build the pack buy a pack in this voltage range in milliamp range it just won't look like what sitting in the car it'll be taller and wider whatever it could sit back there where it goes You could even bolt it down You just won't get the pretty covers to cover it up like it used to be so this is aesthetics I don't know what your car looks like to begin with so you could come up with a battery for less money quite possibly if you are in that electronics game It can be done I've seen it done on other vehicles so it just depends on what is applicable to you and your machine.

gittarpikk likes this.
  4. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It was helpful, and clearly mentioned what may have tripped it. I attempted to run first test with the HV plug out. ...so that gives me confidence it may not be something additional wrong with pack.

5. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, most of the builds were on the heavy 2'x4' bench I have in the shop....but this time car is immobilized around front in driveway. I think I built it once in the driveway as well. I saw an ad with new custom packs (DIY) using large cells a bit smaller than d cells. It could work but I think that if I go with all gen 2 modules (which fit in the same enclosure, but just a tad longer and require all 38 be replaced) I believe I can get what I need out of the car for now while the 2010 is on the operating table. I'm looking at in the sixes for Gen 1 used and in the sevens for Gen 2 used. May or may not need an ECU. Car is in really nice shape with paint probably a 9 (between one and ten) Only only one small dent not noticeable. The Interior is maybe a 9.5..so visually it looks better than 75% of the cars on the road and the light blue metal flake is a cool color not often seen.

6. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a gem!

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking at your symptoms and the TS voltage readings, it is very likely the HV battery ecu socket smoked along with a bunch of dead modules. The socket where the voltage sensing harness plugs into. Relatively common problem due to corrosion buildup on the pins. Gen 1 is even worse than Gen 2. Without a doubt, non-use is a death warrant for the Gen 1 batteries. I think you have the right idea to update it to Gen2/3 or even the gen 4s if available. Probably need to find a good harness and ecu also. You would certainly have a battery that could be good for years.

#7 TMR-JWAP, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023