1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe this is how car colors are selected

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Feb 28, 2018.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Every year, a secret group meets to discuss what the color of the year will be. Based on an abstract theme, a color palette is selected by these mysterious people.

A comprehensive book of swatches is used to match colors for all kinds of purposes, from logos to clothing. This is the story of Pantone.

https://nyti.ms/2EZVbQz

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

hkmb likes this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always thought it was monkeys and dartboards.....

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BEST thing that ever happened to this forum!!!

I haven't seen a diesel fanboy trashing hybrids on this site since then! :)

albus, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And the monkeys weren't flinging darts... :eek:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1998 - Wasabi... next year, Honda VV prototype (1G Insight prototype)
    1999 - Cerulean Blue - Shows up on the redesigned 2002 Camry as Catalina Blue and on the redesigned 2004 RX as Neptune Blue
    2001 - I don't recall seeing this until the 2011 Murano CrossCabriolet
    2004 - Not the exact same but yellow came to the 2004 Toyota Matrix and Mitsubishi Lancer and 2003 Suzuki Aerio
    2009 - Although the current Blue Crush Metallic on the Gen 4 Prius is closer, the 2010 Prius' Blue Ribbon Metallic has a very slight purple hue to it.
    2013 - Oddly enough, Acura already experimented with that in the early 2000s with the Acura CL (2003) and the RSX (2004) sporting metallic orange hues. In addition, the 2003 Murano launched with Burnt Orange (which made its way to the 350Z)

RCO likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we bought our 2000 tundra there was one color we really liked (Stellar Blue Pearl) , but was not available in our chosen trim option. The color looks blue or possibly slightly violet depending on the lighting.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can still see no excuse for that cat-vomit green that BMW thought would be nice on M3s around 2010, and which Ford Australia copied for the fast Falcon.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Britain, there were rumours - apparently confirmed by numerous police officers - that some motorway police would play "speeding snooker" over the radio with other motorway police.

For those of you unfamiliar with the rules, when you pocket the balls, red is worth 1 point, yellow 2, green 3, brown 4, blue 5, pink 6 and black 7. There are ten red balls. You have to pocket a red, then a "colour", then a red, then a "colour" until all the reds have been pocketed (a pocketed red stays in the pocket; a pocketed colour is replaced on the table. If you accidentally pot the white, or if you pot balls in the wrong order, it's a foul shot and you lose points.

Cops would follow these rules: they'd have to book someone in a red car for speeding, then someone in a "colour" car, then another red car and so on. (There were substitutes for yellow and pink, as there were very few cars in those colours back in those days.) So if you were only a bit over the speed limit, they'd stop you if your car was the colour they wanted, and wouldn't stop you if it wasn't. If your car was the wrong colour but you were going dangerously fast, they'd have to stop you: then they'd throw the book at you because you'd caused them to lose points.

This all apparently meant that you were far more at risk of being stopped if you were driving a red or black car.

I don't think they could do it any more, as I think the radars log events which means a cop can't choose to ignore a car of the wrong colour.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for explaining snooker rules, @hkmb, I've always wondered!

It was always rumored in the US that red cars always got stopped most often for speeding, but I can't substantiate that because I've never had a red car.

Perhaps red is the most popular color for sports cars, whose drivers might tend to speed more often, but that's idle speculation on my part.

Where I live now, almost everyone speeds, but me. I don't need any speeding tickets or worse, red light camera tickets.

11. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure white, the most popular color for autos, isn't influenced by this cabal. Probably black isn't either.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I'd better explain it for the Americans. With the exception of a few Chinese people and the Canadian Bill Werbenuik (sp?), all the top snooker players I can think of were British and Irish, so it doesn't seem to be an especially global game. It's quite fun, though.

The only time I ever got stopped for speeding in America, I was driving a red car. I didn't get fined, though: the policeman was too confused by my British passport and Hong Kong driving licence.

That could well be the case. Although these days I find that it's drivers of gunmetal Audis that are, if not the fastest in real life, at least the fastest in their own minds. And they're certainly the most aggressively tailgatey.

13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many cars in Japan are white. It's considered the safety color.

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But looked fab with matching purse and shoes. ;)

William Redoubt and pilotgrrl like this.