1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Mazda building a Volt of its own"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by TimBikes, Aug 28, 2008.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think this is true, although the article stated that they were planning to use a 1.4L. The advantages that I can think of for using the rotary: small size and low weight compared to a conventional piston engine with the same output, low vibration, simplicity. In fact, the complete gen set (engine + generator) could be very simple and compact. The generator would be the starter and generator similar to the Prius. And it would only need to operate at one speed, so both the engine and generator could be optimized.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Maybe Mazda will use the Rotary Atkinson Engine. That would be cool.

3. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I could get 30 mpg with my 79 RX-7 when I wanted to.

4. allemandeL3ft

allemandeL3ft New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm a big mpv fan; it's my current car. Maybe this will mean that they'll reintroduce it to the NA market. More likely this will be JDM only. Like many of their tastiest morsels.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even if it turns out to be vaporware, nothing wrong with prodding Toyota and others to step up EV development. I hope Mazda does produce this vehicle

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While the Prius can use engine braking the same as a conventional car, an EV or a series PHEV cannot. However, there are alternatives:

A large resistive heat dissipator could absorb and dissipate the energy from re-gen braking after the battery is full. Using air or liquid cooling would allow a big resistor to take the energy of slowing the car.

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about one of those steel-plate soled motorcycle racing racing boots to wear on the door-side foot? :rolleyes: