1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Mazda e-TPV to have Wankel dual fuel range extender

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Pete, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was the emission claims that sounded too good to be true to me.

IIRC, SkyActic-D is lower compression than other diesels. One of Mazda's original goals was cleaner emissions without SCR. The compression difference likely helped with NOx. It did pass in other markets, but VW's cheating had Mazda thinking they could do the same for the US. They spent quite some time trying to get a Mazda6 diesel to pass without performance loss, because of that.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It was pretty bad not just meh, it cost $4000 more but had less power for about 10% better fuel economy on more expensive fuel. BMW and Chevy cruze did better but required DEF to clean the NOx.

We should know more in 2024 ;-)

It runs on the miller cycle at start up and at higher power levels so it needs enough pollution control to work with that. I believe that it is lower before pollution control in lean burn compression mode but this runs cool. I have no idea about warm up. A atkinson with proper pollution control may easily be lower at the exhaust pipe. Still its worth pursuing.