1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

McDonald's outsmarts S.F. lawmakers...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the kids want the toys and ignore the food, it's a win-win for everyone involved!:)

1 person likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Playing with action figure is oodles better than video games or acting out. McD's just might have the right of it here. We still have to tax the swill they call 'food' at 200%.

1 person likes this.
  3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have found differences in other countries, usually better than the US versions.

The McDonalds in Paris I ate at served a burger that tasted like it had real ground beef instead of the McDonalds glop. Indian McDonalds are completely different with vegetarian and non-vegetarian cooking and serving areas . I don't recall seeing any beef on the menu. All I had at the Indian one was coffee so can't comment on the taste.

The McDonalds at the Frankfurt Germany airport also has better tasting meat in their burgers than US McDonalds.

I've also been in the one in Budapest next to the railroad station, just had a coke there. It was beautiful late 19th, early 20th century style restaurant though.

2 people like this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heck yeah. And not just the sugar bombs, either. For a time, probably long after I should have outgrown cereal, Shreddies came with little Star Trek spaceships. I still have a couple of Romulan Warbirds that go on the tree every year. Back in the old days, we had catamaran airboats with rubber-band drive, Mickey Mouses to go on the end of pencils, and stand-up Jungle Book bears. There were even coupons on some boxes to send away for a scale model of the Lunar Landing Module. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fun fact for Daniel - there are two toys offered for every Happy Meal. You can either have an "action figure" based on whatever hot action movie is currently in the theaters, or you can have a cute little "pet" based on a "friendly" cartoon where the predominant color scheme is pink. They're called "Boy's meal" or "Girl's meal". But since McDonald's can't admit to such blatant sexism, they're euphemistically called "Truck meal" (even if no truck is involved) or "Doll meal" (ditto), which is actually even worse.

2 people like this.
  6. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that I saw anybody mentioning Beanie Babys. That was one of their biggest happy meal toy give aways around here. People went "crazy" for them. At the height of the craze, one person that I know ate the happy meals for lunch and said that he could sell the Beanie Baby for more than he paid for the meal.

1 person likes this.
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if that is not something the lawmakers could manipulate. Force McDs to sell as many toys a customer wants, at ten cents a pop.

1 person likes this.
  8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

My sister made over $1500 from selling her beanie babies from McD's... I thought it was stupid coins for them myself... but hey, folks collect what they like right...

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

That would be easily limited to buying one per meal offered...

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ You have nailed the question. Congrats ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my sister's in law's sister is married to a McD franchise owner (he has a "few" of them) so sure we go there. as fast food goes, i don t really prefer them.

in fact today is "family day" so we will go eat fast food but will likely go to Burgerville since we be at outlet malls in Centrailia anyway. http://www.burgerville.com/about-us/ which a "bit" different than the usual run of the mill fast food joint but then again, this is the Pac NW we are talking about

kinda funny because i know of someone who sold his old McD toy collection for like $150 or something. there were like 30-40 pieces from the 90's? or so

if he had paid 10 cents that would be a great return on his investment. either way, i think its a great cause. now if i bought the meal, then gave it to a needy child, would that be considered child abuse?

1 person likes this.
  12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I remember when Crackerjack had little plastic things as the "prize." Last time I bought Crackerjack the "prize" was a tiny bit of cardboard that if you tore it along the perforations carefully, you could assemble into something worthless.

But I do remember when breakfast cereal had toys, and was not 97% sugar.

Thanks.

When I need fast food (typically in airports, but also sometimes on a road trip) I look for a Quiznos or a Subways and I get the veggie sandwich on dark bread. They don't have 100% whole grain, but the dark bread I think has some whole grain. If I'm really hungry in an airport I'll look for the Mexican place and get a vegetarian bean burrito. It's filling, tastes good, and is one of the healthier options in the airport.

On my outbound trip I'll bring my own food. But homebound I usually have to eat the airport or roadside food.

1 person likes this.