1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MDF vs hand cal variance with top offs vs fill ups.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NinnJinn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven my Prius over 1500 miles in the last 2 weeks. I have noticed that if I top off my tank, (3 pips or more left) hand cal vs MFD is about 1.5-2mpg off. Yet there has been twice my car "dings" and the last pip is flashing. When this happens, I find that MFD vs hand cal is always 5+mpg difference.

Just curious if this happens to anyone else?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to resist the tempatation to top off the tank. With a bladder system you risk overfilling and either:

A: Cause the bladder to over-expand then retract and push fuel back out which results in you standing in a puddle while gas spills out of the filler neck for 5-10 minutes.
    B: You overflow into the emission system components and cause expensive damage.

3. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically I need to just wait until I'm down to the last pip then? I always have this fear I am going to run out of fuel. The least amount of fuel I have put in was 4gals. 2 were over 8gals, a 7 gal and a 6. Except for 1 they have all had at least 250 miles since last fill up.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would never make such a suggestion because each situation is unique and only you can determine when you should fill up. I fill at 1-2 pips usually but I generally get 360-500miles to a tank. Filling up every 250 miles kinds sucks but I think running out of fuel would suck worse..... Unless a bus full of Hawaiian Tropic girls stopped to help you.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no reason to stretch a tank, except for (dubious) bragging rights.

I fill up anytime we're near our usual station and the tank is less than half. I fill till it does the auto shut off, and don't try for any more.

As far as calculated vs displayed mileage, our displayed mileage is consistantly optimistic by about 7%. I use it as a rough gauge as the tank progresses, but rely on calculated.