1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Measuring state of health on prius battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BillG, Feb 28, 2018.

1. BillG

BillG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have searched and I cant find the answer but I am using a Prolong Hybrid charger / discharger and thought it would tell me amp hours ( like the mini rc chargers) but it does not. Does anyone know of another way to measure these without having to buy a bunch of rc chargers. I am working on a project and part of it I am supposed to graph the before and after the charge. Can I add a AH meter to the machine do you think since it is already doing a charge / discharge ? This is part of a STEM project and I really would like to be able to collect all the required data. There has to be a way I just don't know it. Thank you.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

I have the Prolong equipment and have used it several times:).

When the harness is installed and the orange safety plug properly seated, you can plug the charger intonthe harness and turn it on and it will tell you the voltage of the pack as well as the chargin rate in the labeled windows;).

Being a chemical engineer, I fully support STEM and your cause:).

Let me know how I can help(y).

3. BillG

BillG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the battery out of the car and was trying to find a way to get the ah of each module. I see where guys are saying some modules take more charge /discharge cycles to get them back up over 6000ah. But the ones they cant they know are bad. I want to do it right so I dont have to redo it. But also want to be able to see where each module started and ended like you can with the hobby chargers. I was hoping not to have to buy 7 quad chargers after I bought this lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can use a multimeter to find out the values.

With what you are undertaking, do you have access to Techstream? Do you know which modules are weaker than others?

Knowing what modules were the problems or knowing all the module voltages will help with the next steps. All the modules may be under 6000 depending on the age and service history of the pack.

The Prolong setup will get the pack up to the same level and balanced once you determine the problem modules.

Good luck with your project (y).

Sean2005Gen2CA likes this.
  5. 2005pluginhybrid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you use the Prolong Hybrid charger / discharger in the car with the ignition turned on?
    I would think not, but if you can maybe you could use torque pro to monitor the voltages of each pair.
    to track the ah per battery, you would need a lead to each battery to record voltage and inline to monitor current.
    I tried to figure a way and it became too complicated, with the high voltage and my experience level.
    to keep track of the overall current put into the batteries you could use a killawatt meter on the A/C to the Prolong Hybrid charger, but it would include the losses in the charger.
    But if you are doing multiple charge discharges, it would give a baseline to compare charge cycles.

I tested my pack and recorded the voltage of each module pair, on my workbench.
    If you want to look at it I put notes on this blog
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 106 | PriusChat
    If you could wire up like this, you could monitor pairs while using the Prolong Hybrid charger/discharger.
    But this only monitors the voltage.
    Near the end I have an image of the torque pro app with the battery pack back in the car

6. 2005pluginhybrid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After going through the process of taking my pack out and replacing 2 modules. It is very time consuming to use an RC charger.
    I am not confident that RC chargers really give you accurate measurements as well.
    They do give you a measurement to compare one module to the other though.
    I spent a bit of time building a rig to monitor voltages of module pairs.
    if you want to just check the health of the pack, torque pro will show you if you have a balanced pack in the vehicle.
    I have only used it as a screen on my phone.
    I did see a process on the internet that would record the readings to a file and you could make graphs of pack health.
    It would be a great project in my view, to use torque pro and make a graph of the pack health to start.
    Run the prolong Hybrid charger/discharger for a few cycles and then run the torque pro again to see the improvement level of the pack.
    It would be even better to have a large group of people run this and record health on a web site to have a reference point from a larger sample.

Enjoy your research. Be very safe though, you are playing with high voltages.

7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do not use the Prolong equipment when the car is in any other state than off.

8. BillG

BillG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I have tech stream. I see Volts in pairs. but I am looking to also graph capacity. I guess really what I want or would like to build is the tester that the guy uses on youtube to test all 28 or like the 28 rc chargers in one unit that can datalog. . I know I can buy the charge discharge circuit boards cheaper and build my own with a power distribution block and find the right circuit boards that datalog. I guess. Am I thinking over this wrong?

#8 BillG, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I remember correctly, the HiTech 44167 model 4 channel hobby charger has connections and software for monitoring and graphing using a PC or laptop. They stopped making it about a year ago I think, but replaced it with an updated model that has a higher discharge capacity. Maybe you can look into that.

SFO likes this.