1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanic needed in South OC area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by manuu, Oct 4, 2021.

1. manuu

manuu New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I live in the South Orange Country and need affordable recommendations for a mechanic in the Mission Viejo/San Juan Capistrano/Dana Point Area. If you can give me predictions of what my car is entailing with the photos below, that would be awesome.
    I have a 2009 Prius and today, I was driving my Prius and all of a sudden all these sensors came up on my car. I pulled into a parking lot and have to leave my car overnight since no mechanic was going to be open around 6pm and I cannot drive my car home with all the sensors on. It's currently staying there overnight until I can drive back there tomorrow to tow my car to a mechanic. Besides a local Prius mechanic, does anyone know a good and no too pricey mobile Prius mechanic that can assist me too? Also, the red light is on even when I close my doors.

Attached Files:

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe first try to get codes yourself with a $20 ODB2 dongle and Dr Prius app? If you get the codes and post them here maybe someone can give you some head’s up,on possible problem. That way you don’t go into the deal or mechanic blind. Many are Available from Amazon and DrPrius also explains which are best.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to just read the codes on the car to confirm. But all those lights usually mean the one dreaded HV battery failure.

The best option is the "NEW" battery option when you need one. Try not to get a reconditioned one if possible, they will not last you 10 years like a new battery would. A new battery typically will be $1600 or more.

I have a good mechanic but he's not anywhere near OC, he's in the Rosemead area. He addresses all my Prius problems (when I get too lazy to DIY). You can also try a good Prius shop in OC, the Hybrid Pit in Buena Park

4. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have limited experience with Brady's Automotive. They're not hybrid-specific, but they are honest and knowledgeable. One of their guys has worked at Toyota Service for over a decade.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I pulled into a parking lot and have to leave my car overnight

I'm sorry to hear that. Being that you live in California, in this situation, I would reserve another $2500 for your catalytic converter, which will probably no longer be attached to your car when you go back to the parking lot.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you please send me an email at [email protected]? I have a question on the aftermarket CAT you mentioned in another posting.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    a short drive might be ok, unless somethings really acting up.

8. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it light up like that after it has sat for a couple of hours? If not it might just be the inverter pump. Drive the car for a long time or under heavy load and the inverter overheats because coolant isn't circulating and the car lights up. But once it cools off everything is fine again - until it next overheats. Let's hope this is your problem because if it is you can fix it yourself in a couple of hours if you have a few tools and can find the pump at a nearby dealer.