1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanic recommendation -- Lansing MI area

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gataloca, Dec 31, 2019.

1. gataloca

gataloca New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My girlfriend's 2007 Prius might need a new hybrid battery. On a recent road trip, mileage was in the low 30s and the gas engine sounded like it was working harder than usual to accelerate to highway speed. Spartan Toyota (the local dealer) looked at it yesterday and said that the battery hasn't completely failed but it's on its way out (my words; I don't know exactly how they characterized it). They quoted $2400 to replace the battery.

I'd like to get a second opinion and quote on the battery. According to its website, All Auto Service in Lansing services hybrids. If you've had experience with All Auto or with another mechanic you'd recommend, please let me know. Thank you.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We call them Stealerships because their goal is to tell you it will cost so much money to repair that they can sell you a brand new car even if you can't afford it...

There's any number of reasons your car is behaving the way it is and if you don't have any warning lights, the battery pack is still ok... Getting a new 12v battery, more air in the tires and engine clean out and tune up is likely part of the problem... As for hybrid battery, the main problem pack has is the need for reconditioning.

You may remember back before lithium batteries took over we had NiMH rechargable batteries for our cameras and other devices and it often came with a charger that had a reconditioning/cycling function. This is because as time goes by nickel batteries have crystallization issues that have poor conductivity and you break up those crystals by doing several deep discharges and recharges.

Prius should of been required by law to build this battery maintenance function into the car, but instead they designed the Prius to keep running normally with up to 50% loss in capacity, which you're now at. @ericbecky on the other side of the lake from you has the equipment you need to do this. You can borrow the gear from him by putting a deposit down on its value... Or you can by your own gear here: FAQ If you have basic car repair skills it's a very easy job to do and your battery pack will be back up to 96% capacity, with lots more power and a much quieter engine.

There's lots of other general maintenance stuff you can do beyond this... But let's just start with that and let me know if you want to learn more?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a member in madison, wi, is that too far?

btw, $2,400. for a new oem battery is a very good price.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just because you have low mpg does not necessarily mean your hybrid battery is bad. There are lots of other things to check first.

Get a second opinion.
    Approximately how many miles are on the car?

And if it comes to it... If your local mechanic can replace the entire battery with a new Toyota one for $2,400 that is a good deal.