1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanical noise when starting engine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steven Stolle, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What state of charge is the display showing?

If you are smelling gas at the front of the car, that at least indicates that fuel is flowing.

Did you clean the throttle body?

But the more you attempt to start your Prius, the lower the state of charge gets and it's a matter of time and attempts before you'll not be able to start it at all due to low state of charge.

I'd double check everything you've done (Including actuating the throttle body by hand) and ensure all connections are tight before another starting attempt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ASRDogman likes this.
  2. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you change your PCV valve? First time I cleaned my EGR circuit, I replaced my PCV with a 3rd party part. Got similar symptoms (don't know the specific codes) until I swapped back in the old PCV.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Steven Stolle

Steven Stolle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done everything I possibly can for the engine that I know of. I still get a P3190 DTC and Check Hybrid System. The state of charge on the display is showing one bar. Is the problem with the charge state of the HV battery? I can't operate the car to charge the battery regeneratively. Can it be charged by hooking up a battery charger? If so, can I rent a charger? Let me know a solution. Thank you.

4. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everyone has their Gen 3 story.... I thought I would skate through but noooooo! I bought a perfect running 2010 and did some work on the battery. Everything running fine. I changed oil and filter, new plugs, cleaned the EGR system but DID NOT remove the intake manifold. After a few weeks check engine light came on and I got a P0140 code and figured a bad step motor or EGR valve so I ignored it until I would have such time to dig in deeper. That later time never came...... a month after diving her with the check engine light on, the engine bent a rod and blew a hole in the block. So I guess she was leaking coolant into #3 cylinder...? I just ordered a Japan engine supposedley with under 50K miles.
    My Question: before installing new engine, I will clean the egr and intake and all.... BUT is there anything else I would want to do, pre-emtively speaking, to ensure this does not happen again? Change head gasket? Anything else? Thank you in advance!

5. jimontheocean

jimontheocean Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it were me, I would get a head gasket kit from toyota and replace all gaskets and seals, in for a penny.
    But, thats me, I love working on my cars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a great idea.... Thank YOU Jim. actually, I thought that too, but I am not sure i want to spend the extra time. Anyone else ?

7. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why do you recommend the Toyota head gasket over any other MLS gasket?

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First thing I'd do is start a new thread with your question as the title. You'll get more responses and won't be derailing this one.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you see this video:

It's short and to the point. Explains the faults pretty well, but about the only solution they offer is to clean the MAF sensor, which you already did.
    As to charging: short of purchasing a Prolong charger from Hybridautomotive.com (a sponsor of PriusChat) your options are pretty limited. While it's not an inexpensive tool, if it helps get you back on the road without a visit to the dealer, it may be money well spent. Plus, you'd have no trouble selling it in the classifieds here if you decide to.

ASRDogman likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, the genuine Toyota gasket can be purchased in a kit, with pretty much every O-ring, seal and gasket you can replace. Some you wouldn't use (oil pan gasket I believe is included, IIRC), but most yeah.

My attitude: I'd rather spend a bit more if doing this, because you don't want to gamble on quality of the alternatives.

Probably best to replace head bolts too.

The attachment has part numbers. I believe they're:

Gasket Kit: p/n 04111-37315
    Bolt, Cylinder Head: p/n 90910-A2011 (new version)

But verify. Dealership parts departments are good resource, and as good a place as any to purchase, if price not too inflated.

Attached Files:

#50 Mendel Leisk, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  11. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, thank you....you are correct! I wasn't trying to divert attention. I thought the info I needed would dovetail nicely with what is being discussed. My apologies.

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check out this new thread on a DIY charger:

DIY Grid Reconditioning Charger | PriusChat

SFO likes this.