1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Megger/ohm meter needed please!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Figster10, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The transaxle does not need reprogramming. There is no intelligence within that unit. The hybrid vehicle ECU controls the flow of power between the engine, inverter, MG1 and MG2 within the transaxle. You haven't changed that ECU, but if you did then you would have to initialize it with the immobilizer ECU.

SFO likes this.
  2. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That’s what I figured. The assistant at his shop complained car wouldn’t turn on and he wasn’t there to help so I show up and lock that nice safety lock in the rear . Car turned on and so far no issues. Of course this problem only shows signs after a long drive but as stated before both mg1 and mg2 cables were giving me good signals on NEW part whereas the original transmission only gave me reading on mg1(mg2 reading was bad).

SFO likes this.
  3. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys,
    So quick update on how things turned out for me with my problem.

Problem/Codes: P0AA6-526-613
    Symptoms: sluggish acceleration especially uphill, "Red Triangle-VSC-Traction Conrol" Lights all came on after a long drive maybe one hour.

Journey: dealt with ripoff craigslist guys and even toyota dealership that wanted a lot of money only to dance around the sub codes. I ordered the megger and a friend helped me with the techstream to get the sub codes myself. Many people say they're pros on craigslist and facebook but really they're going to sell you something they know won't fix the problem.

I bought the megger ($50 chinese product on ebay) and followed the tree diagnoses I was provided with on here :).

The megger worked to help locate the bad mg2 which helped me test the replacement transmission at a local shop which proved the issue was the mg2 with low readings. It was a process but anyone stuck with this same problem should know I didn't get any clear codes pointing to the transaxle WHICH THIS IS THE PART THAT PEOPLE PAY OTHERS WAY TOO MUCH TO DANCE AROUND.

Today: My 2007 Prius 170k TAXI Histroy drives like a champ and with zero issues. I have put on maybe 1000 miles since replacing it and get close to 49MPG driving LYFT. I have to actually back off the gas pedal to avoid going too fast(true story). I love this model so much :ROFLMAO:

If anyone in the Sac-Modesto-SF-San Jose area ever needs help with their problems please feel free to contact me.

Big thank you very much to all of the fellas that helped me out here even the ones that suggested things that didn't help(no sarcasm).

Turbo Heart and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AA6-526-613
    Just a comment about the statement that you didn't get any clear codes pointing to the transaxle. You said at beginning of post #43 above that you got P0AA6 with INF 526 and INF 613. The INF 613 most definitely points you to the ground fault being in the transaxle.

Glad you got it fixed and back on the road. You probably know more than most dealer mechanics now about how to diagnose the P0AA6.

5. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

613 pointed me to the right area but I kept hearing from other phony Prius nerds and the dealer that I needed some code that stated either of the mg1 or mg2 is bad in order to get my warranty to cover.

“We are not getting a code that indicates mg1 or mg2 is bad...” is what I kept hearing. I stated I didn’t get a direct code to rule mg1 or mg2 was bad because I hear from a lot of poor Prius owners get ripped off by these Craigslist and dealer idiots because no one knows what’s wrong.

I didn’t get a direct code which forced me to test the mg1 and mg2 readings. It’s not like a an O2 sensor that goes off and gives you a code that it’s time to change the O2 sensor is all I meant.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I see. I get from where you are coming. Maybe they wanted (or expected) to see one or more codes from this group:

P0A1A Generator Control Module
    P0A1B Drive Motor "A" Control Module
    P0A1D Hybrid Powertrain Control Module
    P0A1F Battery Energy Control Module
    P0A2B Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A2C Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit Low
    P0A2D Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit High
    P0A37 Generator Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A38 Generator Temperature Sensor Circuit Low
    P0A39 Generator Temperature Sensor Circuit High
    P0A3F Drive Motor "A" Position Sensor Circuit
    P0A40 Drive Motor "A" Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A41 Drive Motor "A" Position Sensor Circuit Low
    P0A4B Generator Position Sensor Circuit
    P0A4C Generator Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A4D Generator Position Sensor Circuit Low
    P0A51 Drive Motor "A" Current Sensor Circuit
    P0A60 Drive Motor "A" Phase V Current
    P0A63 Drive Motor "A" Phase W Current
    P0A72 Generator Phase V Current
    P0A75 Generator Phase W Current
    P0A78 Drive Motor "A" Inverter Performance
    P0A7A Generator Inverter Performance
    P0A90 Drive Motor "A" Performance
    P0A92 Hybrid Generator Performance

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, part of that problem is the phony Prius nerds.

As dolj pointed out, you did get a code that refers specifically to a ground fault localized to in or near the transaxle, where the workup steps in the manual for that code tell you to confirm the ground fault with a megger, which you did.

Anybody waiting for on-board diagnostic codes to be more direct and specific than that could end up waiting a long time.

8. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. Garbage dealership guy wanted me to leave Prius to diagnose 150$/hour but I said no. Most Prius owners get ripped off by dancing around the issue and never fixing or finding out the problem. The 613 code helped but I had to confirm it... I love this gen 2 car .

Can any of you point me in the right direction to find out more of the gen 3 models? I know they burn oil and what not but I’m curious if the life can be extended or pros and cons. Thanks

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    SFO likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ain't no such thing as a diagnostic code you don't have to confirm. An ECU is trapped in a box responding only to signals that reach it. It only produces codes that tell you what was off-normal about the signals. It's always up to you to confirm why. That's code-assisted diagnosis in a nutshell.