1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mel Gibson's antisemitic rant

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Let's tie Mel down to a chair and force him to watch, THE CHOSEN, over and over again....!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082175/

[​IMG]

2. Mystery Squid

"...anyone who thinks...", :rolleyes: What an a-wipe. Is this pandering, or does he really mean we need the THOUGHT POLICE?

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last time I checked, free speech was a right. It even applies to drunks. Is there anybody out there in Smug-Prius land, or anywhere else who hasn't regretted doing or saying something while inder the influence? Get over it.

4. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]295821[/snapback]</div>

Agreed, still, for an actor who lives off the goodwill of the public....

just ask the Dixie Chicks and befor them, Fatty Arbuckle B)

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 1 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]295803[/snapback]</div>
    No, he only blackmailed Israel by withholding $10 billion in loan guarantees to finance resettlement of Soviet Jews (mind you guarantees only, for which Israel was to pay a large fee, not actual loans) until the Israeli government capitulated to his administration's demands on unrelated issues.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]295821[/snapback]</div>
    If you would please cite the specific portion of the Bill of Rights that says there is right to say whatever you want to say - no strings attached - and that there are no potential repercussions for what you say or that you do not share a responsiblity to understand what you are saying and its possible ramifications.

Yes we have all made mistakes - but I would hope we have all not uttered anti-Semetic remarks that were obviously more than just a drunk man running his mouth - those words of hate are pre-meditated - and were obviously let forth when the alcohol disinhibited his normal mental checks and balances.

The future will tell how he handles this - we will all be witness to it. And it is our goal to heal to forgive to gain insight and knowledge from mistakes - not to whitewash them!

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 1 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]295843[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I get blackmailed too if I "forget" to file my taxes....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 1 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]295845[/snapback]</div>
    hey, you likely read Mel's tirade, therefore anti-semitic words ran through your head, YOU thought them, don't try and hide you didn't! We know this is one of your favorite books:

[​IMG]

BTW, if you're ever on a crowded subway or bus, crack this baby out, and you'll likely get some room...

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 31 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]295162[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Zsa-Zsa slapped him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 31 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]295340[/snapback]</div>

Wow. I figured that would have been "lost" or accidentally burned or something. And the tape have technical difficulties as well.

Mel has apparently been pulled over for drunk driving on at least two previous occasions and been let off with a warning. This, being the third time, he was arrested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 1 2006, 07:17 AM) [snapback]295621[/snapback]</div>
    And I'm sure for this reason NBC (or one of the other networks) pulled a miniseries deal they had with Gibson's production company for a miniseries about the Holocaust. How credible would it have been, after this incident?

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Evan, do you think you have more responsibilty for your tongue while working in the ED than say .. the janitor ? Gibson wields a *lot* of influence, and commesurate responsibility. Perhaps not legally, but in the court of public opinion, definitely.

Personally, I find this story interesting because it points to some of the underlying, hidden foundations of blind faith: Hate, fear, isolation. Good catholics will tend to dismiss this incident as just a bit of nonsense from a drunk, because introspection will not be pleasant, or would actually considering why the Passion movie was such a big hit and Gibson's primal motivations in making it and trying to make a holocaust movie. Which brings me to the funniest remark Gibson's PR people made on his behalf, in which he promises to find out from where the hate words came from.

From you, Mel, you POS. There wasn't a jewish ventriliquist nearby.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I see people twisting "defenders" of Mel into anti-Jews. My impression of the defenders was that this is being blown WAY out of proportion. Let me summarize.

Everyone has an opinion and they all stink.

Drunk people say stupid things and NO, you can't make a blanket statement that it brings out the "hidden" person. B.S., mind altering drugs do just that...alter the mind.

Mel Gibson will "pay" for this through public opinion...as well he should.

There are no "greater meanings" in his rant.

You CANNOT make this bigger than just Mel Gibson (trying to tie it to christions, or republicans, etc)

Mel apologized....he can do no more. YOU can either accept it , or not, your choice.

Since I don't idolize ANY movie stars, TV stars, sports stars, etc.....I don't really care much about this.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 1 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]295810[/snapback]</div>
    A good beginning

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Aug 1 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]296065[/snapback]</div>
    Even Mel does not agree with you. Everyones opinons dont stink because they are not all hateful and prejudiced. Drunk people say things they mean given the right level of blood alcohol. If you dont think what he said underscores his true thinking that is your problem - i guess if someone comes up to you and says he is going to beat the crap out of you, you wont believe him until he hits you??

You are right in that what Mr. Gibson said belongs to him and is not associated with any of the groups he belongs to.

Apologies are cool - i guess you would have let ken lay, richard nixon, etc off the hook too - apologies being all that you require for absolution.

That you dont care about this is cool too - your choice - i care and would care if the target of his hatred were blacks, Muslims, etc. Not caring in my opinion is aiding and abetting in this instance - assuming you are cool with anti-Semetism.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2006, 08:07 AM) [snapback]296195[/snapback]</div>
    Ascinine and irrelevant comparison.
    Ken Lay commited crimes that directly impacted other people and cost them money. An apology will not do by our laws, crimes deserve trial and appropriate punishment under out laws. Likewise Nixon, he commited a crime and had due consequences.

Likewise Mel Gibson, his crime was DWI and he will be tried and have a consequence.

Making anti-semetic statements, in the USofA is NOT a crime and an apology is an acceptible way to recieve 'absolution'. Yes, he's going to be punished by the 'court of public opinion'. It will and has had an impact on his carreer....but it will be fairly short lived. He's doing and saying all the right things to make up for this.

You, OTOH, seem to want to punish him in some greater manner due to his status and his thought crime.

But you're probably right, he's got a greater plan, to wipe the Jews off the face of the earth and probably is one of the financiers of Hezzbola. His ultimate goal to reverse the US support of Isreal after he becomes President....time will tell.

Just look at all the news reports of Mel Gibson fans who heard his statements and are rising up against the Jews as we blog...huge numbers....NOT.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]296202[/snapback]</div>
    What crime did Nixon do??

Why do you keep coming back to this if in your opinion his [Mr. Gibsons] words are as meaningful as if the janitor in your ER said the same thing while he was drunk?

And I do not think a simple apology will suffice - there has been too much smoke before we discovered the fire here - and although we (me and Mr. Gibson) differ from you in that words from such a public individual have more meaning, i believe he will have to do more than utter a few words of "sorry" and hide behind the vail of alcohol (something that you are willing to let him do to). And good for all the other anti-Semites - let them stand up and be counted, with or without alcohol - big numbers or not -- whatever its importance may be from your perspective.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2006, 08:32 AM) [snapback]296210[/snapback]</div>
    You're F'n joking right! Pick up a history book and try a little reading. Althought not a substitute for full text this wiki article will get you started. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate

Let me try to be clear here. Just b/c his words will be heard by a wider audience doesn't make his statements any more of a crime. I understand that the hospital janitor's words will be heard by few and are unlikely to make even those few give his words serious consideration. I grant that it's possible that the much bigger audience that hears Mel's statements and sees his movies will give them more thought. But I do not believe that anyone not already anti-semetic is going to change their beliefs based on a drunken rant. Now, if his movies make valid points that others come to agree with then perhaps those will have some influence on a few, but the Jewish nation was quite vocal in what they found anti-semetic in Passion. Mel defended that at the time and stated outright that he wasn't anti-semetic.

I just don't have any idea what you want or expect short of a new law for thought crimes against people of prominant status. And he isn't 'just apologizing'...he made a direct plea to the Jewish leaders. He stated that he isn't anti-semetic. How much of his blood do you want to make this 'right'? What he said was wrong, I wish he hadn't, I'm sure he wishes he hadn't.

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Evan wrote:
    Still believe him ?

BTW, his BAC was 0.12, and he is a chronic Etoh abuser. Enough to loosen his tongue, but anyone imagining a raving drunk in acute toxic delirium has the wrong picture.

Attempts to deflect criticism of Gibson by throwing out accusations of 'thought police' is silly. We are not discussing what he *thinks*, but what was SAID. If he directed it towards a person, it would be slander. As it stands, directed against a group, it is closer to a hate crime.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 2 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]296248[/snapback]</div>
    Mostly. I suspect he harbors some anti-semetic feelings, but then I stated that in my first post. But I believe his apology is sincere and I think we can live with people we don't necessarily see eye to eye with. I think Christians are mostly hypocritical and self-rightous bigots against all other religions...as are most other religions against Christians...it sorta goes with the territory. How can you believe and swear loyalty to 'one true God' and yet not feel that you're somehow superior and smarter and better than your neighbor the Muslim who believes in his (in your eyes) 'false God'?

The thought police statements are not silly. One can only be sure of someone's thoughts by their words, spoken or written. In the USA making a statement like that is NOT a crime...hate crime or any kind of crime. Stupid and sure to get you in trouble, yea, but not a crime.

I had heard his BA was more like .16, but regardless your point about his chronic alcoholism is dead on, at that level he certainly wasn't a raging drunk unaware of what he was saying.

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]296254[/snapback]</div>
    OK, here is what he said (in part):
    From Wikipedia:
    California Penal Code section 422.6 offers a wider interpretation of hate crime, defining it as those acts "committed because of the victim's actual or perceived race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or sexual orientation. The actions considered criminal are using force or threat of force to willfully injure, intimidate, interfere with, oppress, or threaten any other person in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him or her by the Constitution or laws of the State or country."

And another snippet I found interesting: defined in 1992 a hate crime as a crime in which "the defendant's conduct was motivated by hatred, bias, or prejudice, based on the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or gender identity of another individual or group of individuals" (HR 4797 - this bill never became law).

Now, Gibson did not have a direct victim, but will he be able to argue no connection to a future physical hate crime against a jew by a Gibson fan or follower of his brand of Catholicism or Christian ideology ? I wouldn't let him off if I was in the jury.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 2 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]296308[/snapback]</div>
    It's a big IF for that 'future physical hate crime against a jew' thing. And the 'fan' part is clearly far fetched unless one could directly connect the action as being motivated by the words of Mel Gibson, and even then the person doing so would have to be a true weirdo to start with since Gibson did nothing to encourage others to commit crimes against jews (ie he didn't say "I want all Christians to take action against the jews"), and subsequently has adamately stated that he isn't anti-semetic and has said much more postive toward the jews than otherwise.

So yes, anti-semetic statements made during or surrounding the commission of a crime against an individual that is jewish would constitute a hate crime by the Cali penal code definition. But stating one's opposition to a group isn't, in itself, any kind of crime. If it were we'd have a lot of people on this board being arrested for hating republicans, or liberals, or gays or atheists or christians.....

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 2 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]296308[/snapback]</div>
    Right here. That's a big part of what's wrong with the world today.

Hey Eric, go jump off a bridge!

you do it, and your wife sues me... :lol:

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]296318[/snapback]</div>
    The IF part only means the crime has not been completed yet, as I thought I had made clear.

Oppostion to a group is not the same thing as racist hatred inciting to violence. Really Evan, I know you are smarter than that.

Here, try these out:
    "Please, please kill every doctor on the planet"
    "The only good doctor is a dead doctor"

Now, in the second statement I didn't actually *ask* for anything. I was just voicing an opinion; heck, I was only making an objective observation, based on number of medical errors made by dead doctors. Anybody who took my words to mean that doctors should be hunt down and killed is probably a wierdo, and has grossly misunderstood me. Thanks for the understanding, and IF a colleague, friend, or family of yours is victimized tommorow, just remember you excused my actions, today.