1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Melbourne, AU: Place to fit 12V battery

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by williamvoor, Jun 25, 2013.

1. williamvoor

williamvoor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear all,
    The 12V auxiliary battery of my 2008 Toyota Prius is about to die (it went flat a couple of times in the past month without me leaving lights on or door open, etc).
    I called around Melbourne and I'm unable to find a mechanic that will fit a 12V volt battery on a Prius, or any hybrid car for that matter. Reasons vary from "I've never done it" to "we don't have the tools".
    Toyota dealers want around $350 to replace it with an OEM battery ($250 is the price of the part). I did some research and found opinions that the Optima D51 battery is superior to the OEM, which is unable to survive a couple of full discharges. The Optima also costs around $250. The issue is that even battery outlets that sell the Optima Prius battery won't fit it.
    I would like to hear experience of Prius owners that have had to change the 12V auxiliary battery. Which battery brand did you use? Can I find a mechanic in Melbourne that will fit it for a reasonable price? I'm not comfortable fitting the battery myself.

Best,
    Will

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!:) it's pretty simple, and i think if you purchase the optima and take it to a mechanic, they will see how easy it is and do it for you. it's just like a regular car with a bit of electronics connected on top of it, but same connections as any 12v battery. they are probably thinking of the hybrid battery which is a bit more complicated, but not much. all the best!(y)

3. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm trying this reply for the 3rd time.

Another poster has mentioned an AcDelco S40B20L battery as a replacement. I have spoken to a dealer in Melbourne who says he will install this model in my car for $95 inc GST inc installation. I will be going there to get it fitted asap.

hope this helps

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Just make sure you can fit the hydrogen venting pipe!

5. williamvoor

williamvoor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Please let me know the outcome.
    I have e-mail AC DELCO customer service asking if the battery is really compatible and got this response: "Thank you for your enquiry - I have doubled checked with our battery engineer and he has advised that our part is not suitable for your application. We will amend our online catalogue in due course"

Very confusing.
    Given the time this is taking me, I'm inclined to just take it to Toyota, suck up whatever price they ask, and move on. OTOH, given my battery is still working, I might as well postpone until the next flat.

6. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I fitted mine today, deciding to do it myself because I did not have the time to wait around for the fitting procedure. I watched a UTube video on the procedure and it is a bit of a fiddle to do(just search UTube for 12v Prius battery and you will find it). I hooked up a backup battery under the bonnet to preserve radio settings (see the User Manual) before I started and so it took me 1.5hrs in total.

7. williamvoor

williamvoor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you use the AC Delco or Optima battery? Could you attach the vent tube without trouble?

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I don't understand the problem or length of time to fit. I took 15 minutes working slowly and fitting the vent pipe. I did use the Toyota battery because there were no Optimas of the correct type in Aus at the time.

9. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I installed AcDelco S40B20L, cost me $95 inc GST. I took my time in doing it, doing it again would take 30mins.

10. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Were you able to fit the hydrogen vent pipe? You risk an explosion if you don't.