1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Melted ABS Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Terrell, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, the overheating on the left side destroyed the bearing on the left side. Why the right rear bearing started failing has nothing to do with the heat on the left side. But it does make me wonder about the quality of the parts in the rear wheels. The slider pin sticking, and the bearing failing, all within a short time.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With rear brakes I always suspect misalignment of the piston and pin on inner pad back, it single handedly can cause terrific drag, heat, what have you.

3. Bondo007PA

Bondo007PA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After replacing my rear bearings 2 times in 1 year for the same issue and service and dealer telling me it was the bearings, mine was the ABS sensor wiring harness. Gently, and I mean gently pull on the wires that come out of the ABS sensor on the bearing and mine just fell off. I feel they were not making good contact causing the intermittent lights. I also found that the sensor cap can be removed and replaced with another one which holds the ABS sensor. I swapped mine just to see if it will work and had no issues.