1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Melting LED Lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pandas Andpresents, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Pandas Andpresents

Pandas Andpresents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quick Q: Has anyone who has done LED bulb conversions had problems with the bulbs melting?

Someone at my tire shop said that he doesn't like LEDs and does not use them because they have a reputation for melting. I know that they run cool but I guess it's plausible given that it can get pretty hot under the hood.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some LED headlight conversions have this reputation, but it's rare to see that problem for other lamp positions.

Many LED headlight conversions depend on an active fan, or a large heatsink in order to function. Often those features prevent you from installing the cap over the rear of the bulb portal. Then you get puddle-splash and bugs inside the headlights. To me, the combination of (often) reduced brightness, (sometimes) poor beam control, localized heating, cooling fan reliability issues and bulb enclosure contamination are enough to just stay the heck away from those conversions.

On the other hand I think some LEDs work well for turn/side marker/tail lamp conversions. And they're fantastic for interior dome & courtesy lamp positions- ones that don't have dimmers anyway.

Peter123 and Pandas Andpresents like this.
  3. Pandas Andpresents

Pandas Andpresents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you!

I have been replacing the bulbs with LEDs as they burn out. I have LED low beam bulbs but have not had to install them yet. It's good information to have.

4. write2toonces

write2toonces New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used four small LEDs for the side markers and license plate lights. They all burnt out within 2 weeks. In fact, they were so hot that they burnt the plastic housing too.

I don't recommend buying these at all.

5. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try Philips or Osram. They are not as cheap as the noname ones, but they are not just LED with a serial resistor, they won’t heat - and last longer.

bdc101 likes this.
  6. PriusChatCommenter

PriusChatCommenter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    these brands all seem fly by night operations

7. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Osram and Philip are very dimm. Just as dimm as the original bulb. Gets. GTR ultra 2, Bevinsee v45, apollo X7, Auxbeamm GX, LS pro Lasfit, etc. That has been tested and measured in Lux