1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Memphis area mechanic to replace EGR and intake?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by waters511, Jul 2, 2022.

1. waters511

waters511 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m wondering if anyone in the Memphis area had a trusted mechanic that works on hybrids? I can’t DIY cleaning the EGR and intake. I have a 2010 Prius with 223,000 miles on it. Spark plugs just replaced and it didn’t fix the engine shaking. The dealership is pushing me towards an engine restoration, but I’d rather get a second opinion.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replacing EGR and Intake might be a bit late at 223k miles. If the dealership thinks you need a new engine, then you most likely already have a head gasket failure. You can get a second opinion but don't do the EGR and intake cleaning as it may be too late.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're headed into head gasket stutter That's all you got going on there buddy Don't waste a whole lot of time no matter who the mechanic is on cleaning the EGR at this point the damage is done you can try and rebuild that open deck engine play around with the head gasket and all that but at the end of the day your number two piston may try to roll over and and it's bore and break at the small end and then you'll be really out of balance I just went through all this and the same engine and did not fix the engine I replaced with the JDM engine and the transmission of matching mileage hopefully so I'm back around 80 k. The engine that I pulled out was a boat anchor it was horrible I would never spend money to rebuild what's laying in my yard and getting ready to go to the junkyard forever. Open deck designs are generally kind of weak lightweight and all that so when they break and expire rebuilding to me is not recommended just get another one that hasn't blown up yet with lower mileage on it there available in around some countries they have to be

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do the EGR cleaning directly after resolving the head gasket issue.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any trouble lights?

6. waters511

waters511 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They haven’t told me there’s a head gasket failure. They just said it was burning oil - with no leak and I needed to consider getting out if the car in the next year. New car isn’t exactly the option I want to go with and a local Hybrid Restoration company quoted me less for a new engine than the dealership was to restore it. I may end up going with that option but wasn’t too clear on if would include new EGR and intake manifold - and new lines to make sure everything was clear.

bisco likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If another shop can put in another engine (hopefully lower mileage and not damaged), then have them clean the EGR circuit and intake manifold before they put the engine in the car. It's quite easy if the engine is not in the car.

They do not replace the units and get you a new one, they normally would just clean all the carbon (but you have to ask or they might not do it)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'd replace the engine and clean the EGR if the replacement doesn't come w an EGR

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Get a low mileage. JDM takeout and its trans . You're set save old intake and cooler . While the shop is getting the engine ready and transmission to put in your car you take the cooler over to the local automotive machine shop and let them tank that bad boy it'll be silver inside like it is on the outside and then you if you want to can run some small brushes and wires through your plastic intake manifold making sure that those ports that you see in the bottom of each port one through four just make sure those passages are clear and then take it back to the shop and let them put that on the engine that you just bought and you do the same to the ones they take off the engine you just bought and put them up for the next go-around