1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mercedes E vs Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 13, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    TITLE: The most fuel-efficient vehicle in America is a luxury car

Do not drink something while reading:
    Source: Mercedes-Benz E250 Bluetec vs Toyota Prius MPG Battle - Road & Track

It reads like a "Top Gear" review, amusing but retro. What triggered my post was hearing a Mercedes commercial claiming 'a car review reported the E200 more efficient than the Prius.'

Bob Wilson

ps. Sorry if posted before, I had missed it. The TV commercial gave me a clue.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen that "review" before here in PC, Bob. ;)

3. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They forgot to weigh their wallets to see how much lighter the Mercedes owner's was.

Ashlem and Scorpion like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Must be the 'diesel premium?' <grins>

Bob Wilson

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is hilarious!
    So having a smaller gas tank makes a car more efficient?

We really need to start teaching basic logic in school ;(

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Prius is still the cheapest car & the best choice. However if they had replaced the Mercedes with a Chevrolet Cruze Diesel, then this article would have merit. The Cruze is about $2000 cheaper to buy, gets equal fuel economy*, and therefore cheaper to own.

For that matter, the cheapest car in the midsize class is the Ford Focus with 1.0 engine. When it's released in a few months, it will be ~7000 less than a Prius (including sales tax). Also an estimated 44mpg. The Prius will eventually surpass the Focus in fuel savings, but not until 270,000 miles.

Finally if you can live with a 5 seat car with small trunk, there's the $12,000 Versa, $13,000 Mirage, or $15,500 Fiesta 1.0... cheapest cars on the market & yet still cheap on fuel (38, 44, and 45 mpg respectively).

* Unless you live in the city.
    Then you should buy an EV like Leaf or Volt (imho)

minkus likes this.
  7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    28mpg in the city...which was pretty much missing in the road test. MSRP $51K.

Ashlem, minkus and NR427 like this.
  9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought most of the Earth population lived in urban areas?

cwerdna and minkus like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Next year, I'll open the "Double Tank" challenge to diesels and other non-plugin vehicles. We should also have the early, 2015 Prius available too.

In addition to 'logic', it would also help to teach basic engineering. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I said it before: I think the EPA's city test is inaccurate for hybrids. What prius (or fusion) driver ever sees 51 mpg (or 47mpg) in LA or NY city blocks (almost none). That means the combined figure is also wrong.

50,6 mpg is the official EU figure for "combined" cycle (Focus 1.0). That's about 37 in US gallons (same as the Fiesta 1.0).

So yes the Equal-sized Focus eats a little more gas than the Prius, but does the difference erase the $7000 pricetag savings? (Yes but not until 270,000 miles have passed.)
    IMHO :-D

12. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I don't get 51 mpg in city driving in my prius. Because I get 55 mpg. City driving is the base case scenario for pulse and glide.

walter Lee likes this.
  13. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That's actually really impressive. I like real world tests and honestly would have preferred the Chevy Cruze Diesel over my PIP. This really isn't about either of those cars. The fact that a really nice luxury sedan that weighs a 1000 lbs more than the competitor can hang in terms of fuel consumption is amazing. Mercedes certainly makes a great product in this category. I remember my parents bought a 300 SD in 1980, that thing was an absolute tank. In fact they owned that car for 23 years with very minimal maintenance.

Sure the Benz costs more and yes diesel is more expensive, but that's not the point. The point is that you can own one of the finest luxury cars and get similar mileage to a car who's only mission in design was practicality. If you can't understand that, I can't help you. If your time is of any value to you, fewer trips to the pump........huge bonus.

14. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You missed the point. Prius was not designed for high speed driving. The "test" was conducted at 80+ mpg speeds.
    How high 80+?
    Here:
    This "real world test" is as good as the Top Gear's Prius vs BMW test.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The test was MILES PER GALLON and the Prius lost a close one to a diesel. It happens. To those who fervently believe a Prius is more efficient then put your MPGe where your mouth is and enter the 21st Century Automotive Challenge in State College, PA next year. Unofficially my V-AT beat a home brew biodiesel Jetta by 0.489%. Official announcement tomorrow.

Putting the percentage in perspective, it is the difference between 50.0000mpg & 50.2445mpg, an absolute win or loss but a statistically insignificant tie.

16. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More appropriate comparisons:

Diesels
    • Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel (would likely be tough competition on value basis and mpg on purely highway comparison)
    • VW Golf/Passat/Jetta/Jetta Sportwagen Turbo Diesel

Gas
    • Ford Fiesta SFE 1.0L Ecoboost
    • [future] Ford Focus SFE 1.0L Ecoboost
    • Chevy Cruze 1.4L Turbo
    • Honda Civic HF
    • Mazda 3 Hatchback
    • Dodge Dart Aero 1.4L Turbo
    • Mercedez-Benz CLA250 (at least in the realm of the same price category - and gas powered)

Also, the lack of understanding by the author of the energy density difference is troubling. Also, complaining about a driving range of over 400 miles is idiotic, considering the disparity in fuel tank size (12 gallons for the Prius and 21 gallons for the M-B). If you compare the Prius to the E250 Blue and E350 (gas) the rated ranges are 595 miles, 696 miles and 506 miles, respectively. Any range over 400 miles is totally acceptable, in my opinion.

And how exactly did they use 10.1 gallons (~48%) of diesel in the M-B over 410 miles and still have 534 miles of 'range' left? Seem like really optimistic (read: poor) projections to me.

One other thing, why isn't Mercedes-Benz offering the BlueEfficiency package on any other models except the CLA180 (which isn't available in the US)? Seems like the CLA250 could benefit from the aerodynamic tech. I'm jealous of the active grill shutters on the CLA180 BE, it should definitely be available on the Prius, considering the fuel economy hit our cars take in the winter months.

17. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fuelly's real world mileage log for the 2014 Mercedes E250 Bluetec is an overall 32 mpg but that's not even close to R&T so-called real world MPG road trip test circuit results or Fuelly's 2014 Toyota Prius' real world overall fuel efficiency of 46 mpg. The R&T story exhibits the classic desire of a driver who want low fuel cost but also wants to drive it hard too... ah - an expensive mistress a luxury sports car is. :cool: :D Yes its a common feeling to wanting have a cake but also wanting to eat it too .....:rolleyes: IMHO ... if you have the $$$ and you want low fuel cost and you want to drive really really fast --get a Tesla

18. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

RFLOL - but R&T is posing that the average R&T reader is a lead footed driver who likes to race at 115 mph in the desert -- if such a driver was behind the wheel of your car would he do as well as you? I think not. We are not all graced with the same intellect or emotional compass - some are graced with more , others with less... :rolleyes:

19. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I didn't miss the point, it appears I'm the only one here who understands the point of the article. It's got nothing to do with the energy disparity between gas or diesel or highway driving. The simple point is that a luxury bomber like the Benz, in an all around varied cruise can hang with the undisputed fuel champ. That my friends is the point of the article. The fact that the vehicles are dissimilar is what makes it interesting and eye opening.

A comparo between an ordinary compact diesel or any other econobox is just flat out boring and really not entertaining. Understand the article for what it is, and embrace a luxury car that truly hits the mark.

20. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently the Porsche 918 also gets better mpg than a prius(78 mpg, give or take a few) but the chance of my qualifying to finance one would be slim to none. :(