1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mercedes: FCV? No, EV

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by El Dobro, Mar 30, 2016.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, supercharging should be included in the price. But if you hit cruise control, it will hit the brakes for you before slaming into the next car, but won;t drive you to the destination in the gps and won't do automatic lange changes or summon, unless you pay tesla to turn on that software.

There may be limits to local supercharging.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All the SC talk is speculation until Tesla decides to clarify. Local limitations unless you pay even more to "unlock" access (i.e. through a subscription model) is another option, I presume.

I think you're doing some accidental interchanging of 3 with S here. :p What's the benefit of the dual motor again? Better performance and handling? I'm assuming the dual motor is a prerequisite to AWD? I am mostly interested in getting the best range (which may require dual motors and AWD in addition to the big battery). Add autopilot to that, and the price is getting pretty significant.
    I wonder how long the waiting list for the Mirai is. ;)

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tesla site says that it's supercharger capable, so it sounds like you pay for it, you get it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you pay for the supercharging capable, you get it, then you pay to plug it in to the supercharger, or free?

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did z write that?:p

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla's dream is for EVs to replace ICE. To do that, a BEV needs long range and fast charging. So Tesla makes all their cars capable of using a Supercharger, unlike others that offer Chademo or the frankenplug as an option on their BEVs.

In the beginning, the S65 didn't come with Supercharger access. It was a $2000 option for the unlimited lifetime access. Everybody was getting it, so they just made it standard. Part of the S and X price tag covers access to the Supercharger network.

As for the Model 3, all we know is that it will have a Supercharger. It fits with their philosophy of putting in the hardware, and then charging for the software to turn it on. We don't know if the access to the network is included with the base price, or if it is an option like it once was on the base S. Neither do we know if Tesla will choose to start offering lower cost, limited access to the network with the release of the 3 or not.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and thank you. so, what was len upset about in post #34?

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think he was confusing Supercharger capable and access.

Lot of negative nelly and burnt stock shorters posting after the Model 3 reservation turn out. Some of them might be implying that the 3 won't have Supercharger ability and it will be an option like Chademo on a Leaf.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, thank you.

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good question. The only thing clearly stated is a supercharger plug will mate with the Model 3 charge port. As a related question, if one does not buy free supercharger access (assuming it is an option) is it even possible to pay for a supercharger charge? (Tesla owners - How does it work now for the Model S with supercharger compatibility but the free charging option is not bought?)

12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    dual motor = AWD. the second motor drives the second axle. better handling and also better range because one of the motors is less powerful and therefore can be used when cruising.

Merged.

ah, I stand corrected. rewatched the event and looked at the site, indeed on stage he says "supercharger standard" but all the written material says "capable" not "free".

#52 lensovet, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
    vinnie97 likes this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Umm...Honda has Fuel Cells, as well as MB and GM.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not having it mate would entail having a new charge port made for the 3. Tesla's have a single receptacle that accepts the portable charge cord, their wall unit, and the Supercharger. Included with the car is an adapter to hook up with EVSE 2 chargers, and a 15 amp and 15-50(RV) plug for the portable charge cord. Other plugs, like for hooking into electric dryer outlets, are available. So is a Chademo adapter.

Tesla's charging connection is probably the most flexible and elegant on any plug in today.

So does Ford. They have all come to the conclusion that the high expense and low chance near term success of fuel cells means partnering up is a better way to move forward. Toyota partnered up with BMW for their carbon fiber expertise.

FL_Prius_Driver likes this.
  15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, I thought it was a NEMA 14-50 plug. ;)

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    d'oh

The beauty of Tesla's approach I was pointing was that you don't to get a wall mounted EVSE to charge at home. Installing a 14-50 outlet is much cheaper. For those with an electric dryer, getting the adapter for that outlet might even be cheaper.

Seems silly talking cheaper in regards to Tesla, but if you want plug ins to replace the ICE, you need to make charging at home as feasible as possible.;)

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My sole electric dryer outlet is in use. However, one of my local home improvement stores has the RV (14-50) equivalent for a mere $8.89. Unless you're an avid handyman/DIY'er, the most expensive component would be the installation cost (and breaker capacity, which may also need expansion in my case; the tankless electric water heater on the same breaker requires significant juice).

hill likes this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Dryer versus car? You don't need more service, just don't dry your cloths when you need to charge your car, and turn your car off when you want to dry your cloths. Pretty easy. Electric water heater is more of a problem, you probably need to size the breaker and electrical service for combined draws.

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking (only mentioned the electric dryer because that plug can't be repurposed for an EV, it's already being used ;))...the place was built in 2011, so I hope the electrical service is already well-equipped. I had this breaker installed for the purpose of the tankless heater less than 2 years ago, so that'd be a bummer if it's ill-equipped for the NEMA input.

#59 vinnie97, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Mirai i i i i i