1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mercedes Still lovin' Diesels

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by hill, Nov 7, 2015.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The lead time for a car is measured in years and export planning nearly as long. Still, I have no animus for Mercedes as they have a well earned reputation for quality, high-end vehicles.

Bob Wilson

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay this is an old thread - but it might garner a different thought, now that it has become evident that MB's diesel emissions equipment are designed to shut down as well. Awh - heck, it only shuts down if/when optimum diesel operating temperatures aren't realized ....
    Who would argue against protecting dirtier smog filters over the human respiratory system.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as long as it's japan, and not here, i'm fine with it. good luck to them, i think the japanese are smarter than that.
    have to disagree with mercedes quality though. depends on how you define it. certainly not reliability.

5. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been reported that EPA has scrutinized vehicles, especially diesel vehicles, that have been certified in the U.S. much more closely since the VW TDI scandal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/business/energy-environment/epa-expands-on-road-emissions-testing-to-all-diesel-models.html?_r=0

After VW cheated, tests got tougher

So if MB U.S.-spec diesel vehicles "shut off" the SCR emission controls below 10 degrees C (50 degrees F) like apparently Euro-spec MB diesels, then it must have been reported to EPA during the certification process (i.e., not a "cheat device"). Even if that's true for MB U.S.-spec diesel vehicles, NOx would have less impact on air quality under those conditions (ambient temps below 50 degrees F) since ozone formation is a function of solar radiation intensity, and it's most likely to be weaker in those ambient temperatures (except possibly high altitudes).

It's unrealistic to expect vehicles to meet regulatory limits under all possible ambient and driving cycle conditions anyway. Four out of four modern gasoline vehicles produced 20 to 40 times more PM than the regulatory limit in very cold ambient temperatures (0 degrees F) in a recent (2014) peer-reviewed study by Environment Canada. Since something like 98% of personal vehicles in the U.S. are gasoline-powered, it could be reasonably assumed that there would be more vehicle miles traveled by gas cars in those ambient temperatures than diesels in 50 degrees F or below ambient conditions.