1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MERGED: Toyota Announces Free NAV DVD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Nov 13, 2004.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And most of those six minutes will be taken up by writing the repair order and processing the warranty payment claim. I'd be surprised if the actual work of inserting the disk takes more than a minute.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Re: Toyota announces a Navigations system upgrade. FREE

I'm planning to order mine tomorrow (if that's possible since I haven't received the letter yet) and simply pick up the DVD. I can "install" it myself. :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They may or may not let you do that. I bet they're required to collect and maybe even return the original DVD. And to assure proper install they probably have to do it themselves since it's warranty work instead of something you paid cash for yourself.

Let us know.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it sounds to me that the DVD need be installed not exchanged.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, you're right; probably won't be that simple.

Anyway, my plan is to bring a jewel case along, park the car, remove the DVD and put it in the jewel case. Next, I go straight to the parts department, give them the DVD in the jewel case, and ask for the one they ordered.

Frankly, I've grown to like my dealer but there is absolutely zero space to maneuver around the lot; it's just crammed with inventory, employees' and customers' cars. I'd prefer to minimize the number of times someone has to pull my car into a service bay.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Letter about FREE NAV DVD update

Guys, there is nothing of technical interest in the dealer letter or the accompanying TSB that I haven't already posted.

It's verify vin, order disc, eject disc, insert disc, stick label on door jam, pay technician .2 hours, file paperwork. Program starts now, ends Dec 31 2005. Get your disc before then! Everyone gets 4.2 or higher. I believe if you wait another year you may get a newer one, but there is no mention of that in the letter. One disc per VIN, and only VIN's with NAV are eligible. Technician is instructed to discard the old DVD.

Nate

7. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"50462)</div>
    I was thinking the same as my vin is in the range, but Im in Europe :? Still I will show my dealer the letter and see what he says.

8. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

we fall within the vins, however, whats with the "old DVD"...i looked everywhere for the old one...never received one from the dealer on delivery, we have #9 2004...never seen an old disk...

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 2 threads concerning this topic have been merged to keep all discussion in one place.

Thanks to Arizona Charlie & naterprius for this hot news!

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj\";p=\"50534)</div>
    Sure you did, it is safely stored in the DVD reader under the driver's seat. ;-)

11. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny\";p=\"50536)</div>
    Danny, I second your thanks! Initiative like their's is what makes Prius Chat so informative and helpful. :clap:

12. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"50467)</div>

I don't know if it's been posted already or not but, here's a pdf of the installation instructions. It's pretty much a remove and replace job.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotapartsnow\";p=\"50560)</div>

I don't know if it's been posted already or not but, here's a pdf of the installation instructions. It's pretty much a remove and replace job.[/b][/quote]

Thanks Eddie. That confirms that this is a simple DVD replacement/upgrade as most of us suspected.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    makes me wonder why they didnt give us the option for self install?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"50566)</div>
    It's possible that your dealer would, but they want the little sticker installed and they want to make sure you're not just taking the DVD and selling it or the old one. I think it's mostly a matter of dotting all the "I"s and crossing the "T"s.

16. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

Should we be expecting a new class action initiative when the updated NAV system still can't find some folk's homes?

I guarantee that will happen - map data is not perfect.

Robert

17. JHartman

JHartman New Member

This is great! I did complain about the system to Toyota (along with the fuel guage) as there were definitely some problems with the system.

Kudos again to Toyota for listening to the drivers. I'm sure other companies would not have paid for the expense of a service update but it is my opinion that their frugality is a major reason why they keep falling behind in market share.

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I called Toyota to get my new address into their system, and I was told that the letters will start going out this week *in waves*, due to supplies of the DVD being limited.

Since I never got a letter about the engine compartment seal fix, despite being in the VIN range for it, I'm not sure what wave I'll be in, but as soon as I have a letter in my hands I'll be calling my dealer to get things going...

19. greybeard

greybeard New Member

Called my Toyota dealer here in Longview, WA this morning. They had not seen their letter yet but checked it out immediately. Called me back in a couple of minutes and told me that he had ordered the disk and would call me for an appointment when it came in. Am I anxious or what. Maybe my address will be on it this time. I live in the boonies and perhaps I'll be able to find my way home now.

20. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"50579)</div>

I decided not to wait for the letter; I called my dealer this morning.

The service writer told me I was the first to call about this issue and that he would have the parts manager order the DVD this afternoon. :D

So, kudos to those members of PriusChat.com who keep the rest of us advised, well in advance, of developments such as this one.

I'd recommend, if at all possible, NOT to wait for the letter. Rather, contact your dealer immediately if your car falls within the range. Once everyone starts receiving those letters, there's bound to be a shortage of DVDs.