1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mesh Grill and Wolo Horn Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Texas-Prius, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't want to change the look of the grill area (I like the stock look), but I did want to provide better protection from road/bug debris. I ordered the following material for $25:

NEW CHROME ALUMINUM CUSTOM MESH GRILL 12X48 HOOD BUMPER SCOOPS VENTS | eBay

First I took off the bumper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut out pieces of the mesh that were about 1" larger on all sides (to allow for curves) and shaped them to the grill openings on the back side of the grill:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I used Hot Glue to glue all around the outside edges:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...and the look from the front:
    [​IMG]
    I also installed a Wolo Horn for about $40:
    [​IMG]

So a couple of much needed mods for a total of $65 and about 5 hours of my time.

- TP

BigPete, metro-mike, Metalman and 2 others like this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Smart mod!

Have you thought about painting the mesh black or were you going for the metallic look?

3. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice mods and the how does the horn sound...?

4. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks F8L. As an offset to the black, I decided to go with the metallic look. The company that sells the mesh in the eBay link I provided also sells black mesh, so for anyone interested, they already have it in black :)

- TP

F8L likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking that the mesh would've looked better painted black as well. However, nice mod!

That is one seriously clean garage space/floor you've got there lol. ;)

6. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Kevin. The horn sounds great for the price and size (I believe it is 118 db). If you are looking for something just as small with even a bit more dbs' under the shell, then look at the Stebel. I have used that one on my motorcycles in the past, and I believe they are rated at 130+ db; however, to get the full power of a Stebel, you have to use a relay, whereas I couldn't tell a difference with or without the relay on the Wolo.

- TP

7. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks xliderider. It's not always quite that clean, but it does seem like I'm always sweeping the floor. One of the advantages to living in southern Texas is almost no snow. I lived in Colorado for 10 years, and if I still lived there, I wouldn't even think about trying to keep a garage that clean.

- TP

8. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks really good, I wold have painted the mesh black to make it like the Camry se.

iPad ? HD

9. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The mesh looks great. It should also keep bugs from getting to A/C condensor.

10. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks everyone. I know some of you have mentioned painting the mesh, but you don't need to do this as the supplier also sells the mesh in black for the same price. It wasn't the look I was going for, and I'm pleased with the results.

- TP

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats great job. Btw, I have a Gen II and looking at your rad on your III is that a separate small radiator above the ac condenser or is that all the ac condenser like on the II it just looks like a separate rad.

12. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow...Fantastic Job!

13. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is one of those radiators for the inverter? What material are the screens made of?

Nice idea and great jot.

14. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. These are the only radiators that I am aware of. The screen is made of an aluminum mesh, and in the case of the scren that I purchased, it is also chrome coated. If there is another radiator somewhere that I am not aware of that can get damaged and clogged, I'd like to know where it is to look in to a way to protect it as well. Replacing radiators is a PITA, not to mention, it isn't usually cheap.

- TP

15. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    how did you manage to take off the front end? was it difficult? instructions? Thanks!

16. Texas-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Takes about 15 minutes to take off. Only one person needed to do the job. Putting back on takes a little longer, and you really need two people to hold up each end and align the bumper cover. There are several plastic rivets to pop as well as a few screws to remove on the top and bottom of the bumper cover, as well as a couple inside each fender well. Also, on the Port side of the bumper, you will need to remove the electrical harness that attaches to the turn signal/DRL/Fog Lights. It is a pretty simple process, and you should have a large blanket ready to lay the bumper cover on to, so that you do not scratch it. When it comes to bumper covers on vehicles, this is the easiest one I have ever removed and put back on. Toyota seems to do a nice job of making it so that the layman with the most basic tools can do it without damaging anything.

- TP

17. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    TP-

Very nice job. I am considering doing this. A few questions:
    • Was hot glue the only fastener?
    • How is the hot glue holding?
    • Have you measured (i.e. ScanGauge, infrared thermometer, AC vent thermometer) AC, inverter or engine temperatures or noticed any increase? This may not be noticeable until next summer. Texas summer heat will be a good test, but the effect on inverter life may not be measureable in the short term. It would be good to measure temps before and after installing the screens.
    • Anything else observed since installing the screens?