1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Message in a bottle

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by zenMachine, Jul 4, 2007.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jul 6 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]474026[/snapback]</div>
    Mechanical ability is not a gene that you inherit. It is a skill that you learn through practice.

You try :blink:
    You fail :angry:
    You learn from your mistake <_<
    You do it better next time. :D
    It is a continuous cycle. B)

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the tap water to drink, but my wife is freeked out about the Floride and Chlorine. She is way to quick to beleive anything she read on the internet, and don't you know that that Floride is Killing us slowly? I told her the American Dental Association has studied if thoroughly, but in her eyes, they are part of the conspiracy too.

She may have a valid point about the chlorine in showers drying out our son's skin and making his exema worse. Oh, and breathing the chlorine gas given off in the shower is also killing us slowly through our lungs.

To keep peace, I have been looking for a good whole hose solution. The whole house water filters will probably take out about 50 percent of the chlorine. I wonder if that will be enough? But a plumber told me if I use those, I will want to put two of them in parallel to keep a decent water flow so that two faucets can be on in the house at once. Then I could use some smaller drinking water filter in kitchens and bathrooms.

I am looking for ideas if others have them. I was staying away from RO becuase of the 3 gallons thrown away for each gallon of drining water. But if the discarded water could be pumped up into a tank in the attic, then I could gravity feed it into my toilet tanks or something.

Other things you should be aware of (my wife read on the internet):
    1. The government is using out tax money to build vast networks of underground passages across the United States. Right now, they are keeping alians form other worlds that they don't want us to know about, but later, they will use them as concentration camps for those who do not agree to follow the anti-christ.

2. The world trade centers were actually bombed by the US government, and a missile hit the pentagon.

There are several more, put I try to put them out of my mind.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you should get your wife a tin foil beanie.

4. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 4 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]472918[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jul 5 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]473408[/snapback]</div>
    Those Supermarket water dispensing machines have significantly fewer regulations and standards, and, in some cases, have been found to be significant sources of bacterial contamination. link link. Tap water is regulated, required to include a disinfectant such as Chlorine or Chloramine, and required to test for bacteria and notify the public if there is contamination. In California, at least, Tap water is tested at least once per month (see page 70). The agency I work for, with approximately 30000 connections must test 8 times per week. A water dispensing machine (assuming it is licensed) is tested every 6 months.

Going back to bottled water, if we assume that a 16oz bottle is sold for $1.00 (I've seen much higher), that works out to $ 8.00 per gallon. Again, using the agency that I work for, we sell tap water at a rate of $ 3.75 per 1000 gallons. That's more than 2000 times the price! If your issue is taste, a simple activated carbon cartridge filter, which screws onto your tap, will elimiate nearly all of the taste and odor, for a LOT less.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 6 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]474469[/snapback]</div>
    The only thing I can say is take a look at the water-bourne disease rate in developing countries, where they do not have the infrastrucutre or the requirements for disinfection. Average life-span is another good indicator, though things like medical care and how much back-breaking labor is required to live are a factor in this. There is as much positive information as there is negative out there about Flouride. It all depends on who you want to believe, unless some new, definitive, peer-reviewed study comes out.

I have, in the last 7 years, encountered one chlorine allergy, which our customer dealt with by installing a simple cartridge type filter on their shower. There are several models out there. Something like this.

Here, send your wife to this site. She can learn all about how jet contrails are really secret government mind-control.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I no longer use plastic bottles, due to them being plastic.
    Toxic chemicals are NOT my friend.

I bought a 25 oz stainless steel water bottle... okay, two of them.
    They travel in the car with us, and I have one at work, so that I can drink enough water during the day.

Our tap water is very good. Not flouridated. :D Low chlorine levels.

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just use a Nalgene bottle. We have an inline filter water cooler in the lunch room at work, so I just fill it there during the day.

7. des101

des101 New Member

I've pretty much done away with the store bought bottled water, except if I am out and forgot the
    water. I carry around a Nalgene bottle or two or three. They'll also freeze which is nice.

As to RO. I have an RO system and am just using it for the fish tank right now. I think
    Ro water tastes very flat. The water guy gave me some minerals to put back in (isn't that
    like enriched bread, but I digress?). I got a PUR (last one died) and that to me tastes much
    better. We have quite alcheline water here.

--des

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know about those types of machines. The one we used was a Culligan machine that sits inside the store. It says on the machine itself that it uses tap water as the original source then applies several filtering processes to produce the final product.

I myself find the store's Culligan water to be a bit better tasting than water from the fridge, even though the latter also uses a Culligan filter. I can compare the two directly since I still have some of the water from the store in my fridge. Still, the difference is not that remarkable, and the cost is essentially the same.

9. des101

des101 New Member

If your city still uses chlorine, refrigerating (or letting water sit) will improve the taste. The chlorine dissipates after awhile. This is a well known fish keeper trick. Chlorine is deadly to many fish, so that one way of handling that is to let the water sit (usually sit and stir with a pump).

Also those objecting to holding water in plastic, Nalgene is very good. It is food grade and doesn't take on
    chemicals. This is what you should put DI water into, in fact. DI will pick up anything as it is so chemical free.
    I have had water marketed as DI and, imo, it was pretty bland.

--des

10. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 18 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]481256[/snapback]</div>
    That is exactly the type of machine I'm talking about. Basically, they are owned by third party vending machine companies, who may give the store a portion of their proceeds, or who may lease the machine to the store who then gets to keep the proceeds. These machines are required to test for bacterial contamination once every six months. The municpal agency I work for is required to test eight times a week. I don't think there are any requirements on how often those machines need to be cleaned. I've certainly never seen anyone maintaining one. How many people use the machine? How clean are they, and the bottles they are using? Basically, the only way that the machines don't get horribly infected is that they are using City water in the first place - which has been disinfected, tested, and has chlorine or chloramine in it to keep the bugs from growing..

While I can't speak to a particular machine, I can say that in general I always tell our customers that their health is better protected by a small faucet mount, under counter, or pitcher type filter if they need something to take out the taste of City water. Just my advice - you decide if it's worth the amount they pay me for it.