1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Met a 10,000 mi/month, Prius Prime owner

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Aug 20, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

It was a brief 10 minute meeting with a lady who delivers lost luggage out of Nashville. She had stopped at Whole Foods for a bite and came over to ask about the chargers. I shared with her about ChargePoint free charging and the use of PlugShare. Sad to say, she did not understand that her Apple credentials are needed to download the App.

There was not enough time to do a technology dive and hopefully she is happy enough. But I enjoyed seeing a Prius Prime doing what it does best . . . making miles and supporting her work. FYI, if she is getting ~$0.50/mi driving her Prius Prime, she is easily making $5,000/month.

Bob Wilson

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    10k/mo = 40mi/hr based on 8hrs per day.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But that would require working 7days a week. I like 62miles/hr on 8 hours/day for 5 days/week schedule. That's only if you can keep up average 62mph on the delivery. LOL

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect her days are often more than 8 hours as she mentioned occasionally taking a nap in the car. Regardless, it was a happen stance meeting so precise numbers might be estimates.

Bob Wilson

5. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What year was it? I bet she will be the first Prime to hit the roof on mileage soon.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect luggage gets lost all 7 days of the week. While I always pack one day in my carry on, you are going to need more clothes soon.

Arctic_White likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, yes, I know the work needs to get done 7/365, but if I have to work for such job, I still want regular 40 hours/week shift. Unless they pay me double for weekend and overtimes.:D I make more than $5,000/month on my current job, but I never have overtime, get to enjoy weekends and 8 weeks/year of paid vacation.

Arctic_White likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am betting your position has more requirements than 'has a valid driver's license'.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, maybe "requirement", but far less "responsibility" than I would imagine for driving a car for living. For example, even if I fall asleep on my job, no one is going to get hurt. LOL:D:D:D

Arctic_White likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    TSS-P will remind her. My Tesla just keeps on going.

Bob Wilson

11. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Off topic maybe, but I thought the free charging was a promo for 2017 Prime. Can we still get this?

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he means some ChargePoint charge station are free. No you can not get the 2017 Promo any more. It was $100 worth of credit to be used in 3 months IIRC. I never activated my card and never singed up for the ChargePoint account for I have not yet to spot a single charge station in my area for the last two years.

jmarkd7 and Arctic_White like this.
  13. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My best estimate of my cost to drive the Prime is $0.28 a mile. That includes maintenance, depreciation, fuel, insurance. It is probably one of the cheapest new cars to drive, partly because the fuel cost is low and partly because tax credits make the purchase cost low. I'm not sure how insurance scales when you're driving that many miles per year, or if her employer pays it, or if it's a company car. And her fuel cost is probably higher than mine because she's probably mostly using gas. And her per mile depreciation cost is probably lower because she'll put more miles on it than I plan to (old age will start causing problems for mine before excessive mileage does, since I drive around 12,000 miles a year). But if you need to buy a new car every few years then that's not cheap. I hope she's getting more than $0.50 a mile if she owns the car or is responsible for driving-related expenses.

Arctic_White likes this.
  14. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm averaging almost 2,500 per month and I thought that was crazy enough. :)

I'm coming up on 75K miles already. I'm getting sick of changing the oil though.

jmarkd7 and Arctic_White like this.
  15. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It's good for 20k miles or 1 year, and they have their own warranty in case anything happens to the engine (as long as you use their oil and filter and have detailed documentation).

Or if you don't care about warranties, just extend your oil change interval based on your EV driving ratio. For example if 50% of your miles are EV, you could go twice as long between oil changes.

The formula is 10,000 / (1 - EV ratio). So for example if 66% of your driving is EV your oil change interval could be 10,000 / (1 - 0.66) = 29,412 miles.

#15 m8547, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another number to account for is the 55 cent per mile federal tax deduction.

Sounds like you should look in to having a lab test your oil.

17. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    LOL, I drive as much as you and got sick of changing the oil too. That's one of the reason I changed to a Nissan Leaf. The others were the 5th seat and ProPilot assist.

18. avongil

avongil Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't care what the manufacturer says, changing the oil every 10K is too long.
    Bunch of marketing BS. Oil is cheap, I would not cheap out in this department.

Research Ford Triton V8.

I'm sure there are more out there with design flaws that are compounded with "long life" oils and manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals.

I know for a fact that certain oil change intervals are set by marketing and not engineering. No more info given to protect the innocent.

5K changes - $2K over 200K miles.
    10K changes - $1K over 200K miles.

I am willing to spend the 1K more to have cleaner oil in the vehicle for over 1/2 it's life.

If you drive 10K miles/month that is kind of another story, I bet the oil is still fairly clean @ 10K since the engine is at a constant light-med load most of the time.

mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Before I retired, I got an oil change every 4 months , as I drove 30,000 miles a year.

Now I drive about 5000 miles between annual oil changes.

jmarkd7 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not sure why Salamander_King was LOL above, I suspect perhaps due to logging
    miles, fuel use, time and deductions, while making them understandable for the IRS.
    I'll have to double check. but I'd be surprised if Big Rig company drivers make .50/mi.. I know company divers are not owner operators like the lady Bob met at Whole Foods, alas, there are other expenses that owner operators have to log to understand what their true rate of pay actually is.