1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Metal rattle under carriage when hit sharp qick bumps?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by maestroca, Aug 27, 2019.

1. maestroca

maestroca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have a 2014 Prius with 60K miles on it. I just took it to the dealership and got a clean bill of health for its 60K maintenance. However I reported to them that i've been hearing a quick metal rattle (seems to be coming from near the wheels) when I hit steep quick bumps (specifically if you drive over one of those middle lane reflectors at over 40 mph). However when i typically drive over any other bump or speed bump, NO NOISE -- it's fine. I can't figure it out. it's maddening.

The dealership tech who serviced my car, even drove around with me and we heard it only once. He shrugged and said he looked at everything and it all looks good. But when I drive on my own, I can hear it. It's frustrating. I don't know what it is. I took it to the dealership, they said the car was fine. Can anyone help? thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    it's usually a heat shield on the exhaust. may be difficult to find, hard to say how closely he looked.

is there a local mechanic you can ask to put it on a lift and give it a thorough examination?

3. maestroca

maestroca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. really? are you sure? thank you for your advice and insight! I appreciate it.

That seems like an easy answer and fix. Is the heat shield located by the exhaust? because I can hear it in the front too.

I also did a test myself yesterday and noticed, if i just drive the front left wheel over one of those middle of the road reflectors, to isolate the sound, i just heard it on the front left tire. Although, i'm pretty sure it affects all the wheels if i all of them hit the bump. But like i said, it's only on quick bumps at over 40mph or higher. its only a specific type of bump that provokes the noise.

thank you!

#3 maestroca, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't be sure, but it seems too low mileage to be anything significant

5. maestroca

maestroca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i totally agree. and like i think i mentioned. the Toyota Tech guy said the car was in good shape. He did a 60k inspection and didn't see anything significant at all. Thank you for your insight. I'll let you know what happens. thank you!

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.