1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Metal spring like sound - often with ABS light

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GeoZoo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am so frustrated. For a while I've had sort of like a metal spring boinging sound on and off, usually when I am turning the wheel as I come out my garage. Couldn't replicate at dealership so they did nothing.

I also noticed the ABS goes off way more than any other car I've ever owned. Even sometimes on dry road just when there is a speed bump. When the ABS goes off - again that metal spring like boinging sound but much more and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Almost always drivers front side.

Yesterday the roads were slick. But the ABS - drivers right side just goes off so easily and that weird boinging metal sound too which is really disconcerting. I almost wish I could shut down the ABS on slick roads as a result of this!

My dealership said they couldn't replicate it therefore they say there is no problem they can fix.

Anyone else had something like this????

Can anyone tell me what parts or system might be involved so I can look for mechanical parts connected to ABS somehow that might make a spring like sound?

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a good wheel shop should pull that wheel and check the dust shield and wheel speed sensor (a key part of the ABS system) to see if anything is bent, out of place and/or rubbing.

Good luck! Let us know what they find.

3. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ABS actuator makes an audible sound similar to what you describe any time it operates. Coming out of your garage.....is there an incline? And how hard do you depress the brake when leaving that garage?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Ldjc21

Ldjc21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----

5. Ldjc21

Ldjc21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you ever find out what it was? Bad speed sensor? Bad abs module? mine is making the same sound.. driving me crazy!!

6. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    There is nothing to check / replace / fix, the sound is normal when the ABS activates, it comes from the valves solenoids when they open to allow brake fluid to flow into the lines to the brakes.

7. Ldjc21

Ldjc21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Something is not normal, at first it does a clicking sound like turning a light switch on and off type of sound follow by the spring and I can feel the vibration of the spring through my gas pedal, shortly after abs , traction Ctrl and at times air bag light come on, it happens on and off.. I can be just doing a regular drive 70mph and it occurs and I can be driving as far as 5mph and it occurs. Then at times after a few minutes the light go off and everything works back to normal. But everything occurs when the clicking and metal spring sound occur. The spring sound is as if it gets stuck and then it's released.. hopefully this additional info could help..

8. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

My Prius C from 2012 does that too. The light just flashes when the ABS activates, and as the light flashes the spring sound comes, it just lasts a few seconds.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's normal to feel this through the brake pedal, with your foot on the brake, while braking on a surface that allows at least one tire to slip.

Not normal to experience it in other circumstances.

Mismatched or underinflated tire(s), maybe a faulty wheel speed sensor? Those are the top candidates anyway.