1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Metallic crackling sound left side

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cttime, Aug 5, 2014.

1. cttime

cttime New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone

I have had my 07' Prius about a month now and have noticed a odd sound coming from the left front of the car when accelerating.

When I accelerate I hear an off metallic crackling sound. It almost sounds like marbles swishing around. The sound is coming from the left side of the car in the engine bay. If I had to guess it sound like it's coming from under the invertor area. The sound only happens when I am accelerating at a moderate pace.

Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the transaxle has a bad bearing within. I suggest you have your car checked out.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how many miles on her?

4. cttime

cttime New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    107k. Is a bad bearing in the trans common? I haven't found anything that sounds to me like the sound my car is making. It happens under part to medium throttle.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's not common at your mileage. it could just be something touching and rubbing that vibrates on acceleration.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It could be a developing "stress crack" in the unibody sheet metal.

I had a 1977 Camaro that had a cracking sound on the right side front. It took 11 years, until the sheet metal failed and left the lower control arm hanging.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you turn your wheel all the way to the left and go forward slowly, do you hear a clicking/thumping sound?

8. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since it is when you are accelerating, and you said it sounds like marbles in a can. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the engine is detonating (pinging). That is what I've always heard bad detonation sound like (at least in my other cars with much larger V8's). Does it happen at full throttle as well? If so, a can of good fuel injector cleaner couldn't hurt. I'd assume the Prius has a fuel filter also, although I've never changed mine (135,000k miles), it could be clogged from some bad gas.

This is obviously just a guess since I'm not a Prius genius.

dave

9. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another potential source could be an exhaust system heat shield. When you reach the right resident frequency it vibrates/rattles (i.e. specific load or acceleration point on the ICE).

M

10. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bad ICE H2O pump bearing.

11. cttime

cttime New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks everyone for the answers... seems like this is all over the place for what it could be. I'll try using some higher grade gas and fuel system cleaner and look harder for something loose. I guess besides that Ill have to wait for a failure.