1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Metallic Rattle Going Over Bumps

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prevee5, Sep 7, 2013.

1. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius v 5.
    There's a metallic rattle sound coming from the drivers side under the car. (I think)
    Happens only when going over sharp bumps and even road reflectors. Anyone else had this issue?
    Had this happen on my 2001 Highlander. Turned out to be incorrectly installed brake caliper. Needed new spring clips. Don't think this is the issue in the v. Have about 10k miles.
    Can only hear the sound with drivers window down and while driving along a curb, k-rail or wall.
    What's up?
    Thanks!

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My regular hatchback has that. I also get it when applying brakes once the friction brakes grab. The dealer supposedly fixed it under the TSB when in reality all they did was cover everything in grease to muffle the sound. Its going back soon for an actual fix. TSB for front brake caliper rattle | PriusChat

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can hear something on my pip when i'm close to something like a jersey barrier to refect the sound. especially when there is a second person in the car. no idea what it is tho.(n)

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check for a loose heat shield