1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

methane gas smell in my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KetoFats, Mar 4, 2019.

1. KetoFats

KetoFats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    smell of natural gas has occurred in my car today for the first time

today was also the first time i used a 120 watt inverter to do a total of about 10 minutes of work on the laptop, powering it up 2 separate times

i first tried the socket located down below in the front but that 12 volt socket wasn't working for some reason

later on during the day after i smelled methane i dug my finger around that socket to try and see if i could smell any natural gas and i didn't but i noticed the socket was broken, the spring came out and so did a few other tiny pieces

i got this car 40 days ago used, the 12 volt socket inside the center console was the only 1 i used since i bought the car, does anyone see where the problem might be in the smell?

the laptop power adapter shows 19 volts at 3.42 amps

everyone please help me

Burna J likes this.
  2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just a guess and grabbing at straws.....

The smell (I doubt its actually methane) could be an electrical smell based on bad things happening internally with your inverter. It could be that the inverter is overloading and burning the insulation of the conductor.

Inverters are not an item to save money on. You are also relying on the output of the inverter not to be dirty, which would damage components plugged into it.

Did the "down below" outlet ever work? Perhaps the inverter blew the fuse.

The inverter is transforming 12v DC to 110v AC. Then laptop power supply is then converting that back to DC at 19v, Lots of loss, heat and inefficiency. You might want to get a power supply for your laptop that plugs in directly to the cigarette lighter.

Pluggo likes this.
  3. KetoFats

KetoFats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thank you for your suggestion

the main thread i saw that really worried me was this one: Smell of chemical or gas inside vehicle | PriusChat

i realize that i need to get the socket "down below" fixed, and then if that doesn't work then i can replace the fuse, and then if that don't work i guess i'm gonna have to do something even deeper like deep in the hybrid battery?

anyone happen to know how much it should cost to replace the socket in that location?

i also was actually thinking of having a 600 watt to 1000 watt inverter installed based on the trunk battery, i know many people do it themselves but trust me i am not good at doing stuff like that, i don't trust myself, and i know better than to even try at this point in my life

for example on the last car i had around august (nissan sentra) i did the hood latch incorrectly so much that my neck would have been toast into the engine had it been 90 seconds too long LOL

ever since that time man i'm willing to overpay on my prius at the same time learning as much as i can

4. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What did you have for lunch ?? :rolleyes:

m.wynn, audiodave and scona like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most Dc to ac converters are less than desired quality. I once ran a 2 amp device on a 5 amp rated converter. Once you have it on for couple of minutes, you’ll start to smell strange burning things. Exchanged it twice before complete refund. It does havE a certain safe run time “limit”. If your using mid to entry level units, it’s typical to give off burnt smell.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Probably the inverter just needs to be burned in and used a bit. Parts and plastics heating up.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Methane is odorless. Natural gas is also odorless. Suppliers add a rotten egg smell to natural gas so you'll smell it if it leaks. The smell is made with sulphur. That also happens to be the gas given off by lead acid batteries. If your 12V battery is not vented, that's the smell you get when it has a load or is being charged. I can almost guarantee that the vent tube is missing or out of place for your 12V battery. That's a serious safety issue and needs to be check out before you drive it again.

Inverter?? I can't see that making any smell inside the car, especially not rotten eggs.

KetoFats, Raytheeagle and Bay Stater like this.
  8. FnRedPrius

FnRedPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SWMBO complains of the same smell, but only when I am in the car.