1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mexico's largest oil field in decline

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Nov 26, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JackDodge, I was agreeing with you. If perchance you have anyone on ignore, perhaps you missed the fact I was disagreeing with them, not you. I'm all for making people uncomfortable - including pious Prius people who think they're saving the world by buying cars and burning gasoline - and making all of us think more deeply and longer term than we have been taught.

In the very long run, the economy IS the environment, because that's where all the wealth originates. Our economic system does not recognise this, and dismisses the whole idea as something outside its jurisdiction - 'external' to the accounting concepts of cost and liability. "Life is not an externality" is my own invented phrase that means, among other things, that I strongly disagree with the sentiment 'a healthy economy will result in a healthy environment.' It means what really counts is life, not money.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Dec 5 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]358053[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa. I was just asking for a clarification. There's an enormous amount of fossil energy left. No, not all of it is oil, but at the end of the day that's not really relevant. From an environmental/economic point of view it's a terrible thing. I largely agree with you but we're not gonna run out of fossil fuels anytime soon.

Dberman, a healthly and stable environment is the single greatest contributor to a healthy economy. Think agriculture, think flooding and drought. Think about major metropolitan areas becoming unlivable and major migrations as a result. A stable environment is what lead to the rise of civilization and agriculture so, yeah, I'd say it plays a rather important role.

There are a couple of economists who have tried to measure the contributions that nature provides to the global economy. If I recall it's something like $30 trillion.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how either economy or ecology can be seperated really. They go hand in hand as long as the economy is set up in such a way so as to not degrade ecological services (True Cost Ppricing?). We all know about natural capital and at the rate we are going we are reducing that capital to unrecoverable levels (in human time, not geologic time). Make no mistake here, technology and a booming economy will not save us (the 80s showed us that). A change of mind will.