1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Consumption Screen Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Solar1953, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Solar1953

Solar1953 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may just be dense or something, but can anyone tell me EXACTLY what the little green cars mean on the MPG bars? I went thru the manual but could not really understand what they meant. Thanks

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The little green cars represent how much energy was recaptured for each 5 minutes you drove the car. So in each 5 minute bar you will see the little green cars representing how much kwh you regenerated back into the battery (either via the brakes or driving in ICE). If you read your MFD it will tell you how much kwh each car represents.

In the grand scheme of things...I would not make it a goal to see how many cars you can pile up in a 5 minute segment. Generally, the less cars you pile up the more efficient you are driving. Meaning...you are using your brakes less while driving and coasting more. Avoiding piling up the little green cars completely is impossible as you recapture energy back to the battery at some point in your drive which ultimately keeps the battery at an efficient charge.

The little green car info is not nearly as important as the rest of the info the MFD shows you including mpg and power flow (battery to wheels/wheels to battery/engine to wheels and battery).

1 person likes this.