1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tags:
  1. HappyHybrid

HappyHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a 2007 Prius. Was driving to work this morning, when out of the blue my SiriusXM radio (just recently hooked up via the center console aux port, has been working great!) audio flickers a few times, and then silence. XM Radio display is fine, shows everything is working, then I notice that the Prius dashboard touchscreen display has gone grey. It's backlit, but nothing on it. Buttons along the sides do nothing. Using the mode button on the steering wheel, I can cycle around off of Aux to FM, FM2, AM, etc, and apparently the radio still works. I shut it off when I get to work with the idea that I'll try the "turn it off and turn it back on again" trick when it's time to go home and see what happens.

5pm: I turn on the car, get the Toyota logo on the MFD, which then flicks off, leaving a black screen with a skinny white horizontal line running across it which eventually then fades to the same grey screen that I got in the morning. Stays like that until about halfway home when my radio quits while I'm driving (I'd switched it to local FM with the steering wheel controls), and the screen blacks out again except for a line across the bottom, which then, like before fades back to the same grey. One click on the Mode button on the steering wheel brings back the FM radio.

Already have an appointment with my regular mechanic for him to check it out, but he can't get me in until Monday. Which is okay, gives me time to research online what I might be dealing with. And from what I've seen it's mostly just an inconvenience of driving with a blank screen, and no SiriusXM (although if I can find the XM FM station by feel manually, I might be able to get it that way), everything else on the dash and steering wheel - except the Disc/Aux buttons - all seem to work, I've got radio, A/C, the horn works, etc., so waiting until Monday shouldn't be a problem.

So what might I be dealing with? Any thoughts? So far I've seen that it could be the aux battery, or the airbag clock spring, or just the screen itself needing to be replaced.

TIA.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, your MFD has died. Not a totally uncommon failure. Sometimes the touchscreen fails, sometimes the screen appears to have a large oval shaped 'burnout' in the center, sometimes the screen looks like it has dozens of large raindrops and sometimes it just goes dark. Looks like you won the 'goes dark' selection.

The rear of the MFD will have a model number. It's important you purchase a replacement with the identical model number, as it's designed to match the options on your car. New from Toyota is anywhere from $4-8k, but luckily these are available on ebay relatively cheaply. They only take about 20 minutes to replace. Plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it.

PriusbySurprise and HappyHybrid like this.
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $300 installed for a new MFD at many places if you don’t want to do it yourself.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I meant refurbished or used one not ‘new’ but works fine. One guy has shops in Indiana and Florida. Others and most hybrid shops similar if you bring eBay parts to them.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  5. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easy to replace yourself. Various repair facilities on eBay can repair yours if you send it in (I did this). Plastic trim/vent pieces which have to be removed for access break easily even if you are careful.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  6. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a way to get the part number without having to take the thing apart first? I found a place online that you plug in your vin and it gave me what sounded like the correct part, no nav, with am/fm/cd, 6 speakers, which is exactly what I have. EXCEPT they say nothing about a backup camera, which I DO have.

86110-47230-C0 FUJITSU TEN, AUDIO-05AM/FM+CD 6 SPEAKER, BLACK, TRIM1*, 4* 1 $7,684.06

Would love to have 2nd hand ie cheaper part in hand from ebay or someeplace when I bring the car to my mechanic on Monday, so I only have to take the time off once.

I did watch the YT video, and technically it looks like something that I COULD do, I replace stuff on my PC all the time, but there's a difference in that if I screw this up, and can't get it back together, this is my only transportation. Would likely be worth it to have John, my mechanic of the last 20+ years, do it for me.

7. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is basically nothing you can do in trying to do this yourself which would make the car undriveable. I've taken my MFD out and left it out, left the air vents removed and driven around that way for weeks with no ill effects. Your guy should be able to take your bad MFD out, and put the necessary items back together in 30 minutes or less. Then, in a few weeks/days, when you have the repaired or replacement part he can put that in in less than 20 minutes.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  8. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE and a fresh question on the MFD... after two weeks of it rebooting repeatedly to either a Toyota logo, streaks, streaks AND a logo, just going to black, and once actually showing the Consumption screen again (but still without a working touchscreen or side buttons, and no actual mileage/MPG recording, just a static screen), two days ago it rebooted and was back to working like nothing ever happened. Touch screen works, I can cycle around the various features on the screen, change the radio stations, use the physical side buttons, the only thing I've not tried yet is to plug something in to the aux port to see if that worked again. But otherwise, EVERYTHING is working like nothing ever went wrong with it. It still tries to reboot, but it does it in just a second and goes back to working fine again.

What are the chances that it could just be a loose wire or a bad plug connection on where it's hooked up vs being a bad display? The tech, who now has the replacement part and I've got an appointment with on Tuesday to replace it, say that it's more likely, based on his experience, to be a circuit or something on the board that's going bad, meaning the unit needs to be replaced, vs just a loose connection someplace. But fixing a loose connections vs replacing a part would be a whole lot cheaper, if it turns out the MFD does NOT need to be replaced after all.

Thoughts? I'm prepared to replace it, if it needs to be, but given how it's acting, it just feels like a loose connection someplace.

Thanks.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be a failing capacitor. Probably best to bite the bullet.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  10. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it was me I'd buy the replacement part from your tech so you have it in hand, but not have it installed. Then if your MFD fails again you can replace it yourself, or simply remove the failed MFD and reinstall it in the hope that doing so either "resets" a poor connection or serves as "re-racking" and makes what was a poor connection good. The biggest cost factor is likely to be the labor of your tech, and if you do that yourself that is eliminated. Once you "prove" you have a bad MFD (if you do) then you can ship it out for repair and resell it, or sell the replacement you got from your tech, on eBay.

HappyHybrid likes this.
  11. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After having it work nearly flawlessly all week long - man, didn't realize how quickly I got used to having it back - as I was driving home tonight, the MFD rebooted again, and went back to a black screen. Guess I'm going to be keeping that appointment with the tech that was recommended by my regular mechanic to actually come to my office tomorrow morning and replace it. I actually borrowed a socket wrench set from my boss over the weekend in case I got brave enough to tackle at least checking the connections myself, but the weather outside in Raleigh this time of year (too hot and mosquito-y) is just not conducive to doing something like that. PLUS it seemed like double the work when it was likely going to need to be replaced anyway, might as well just tear the dash apart once (and by a professional as well, less cussing by the non-professional that way) and do it in one swell foop. Plus as a bonus, he's likely going to reinstall my SiriusXM Onyx radio - assuming we can agree on a cost on that, since THAT'S something I know I can do myself, since I did it once but pulled it when I had my windshield replaced yet again last week, but I'm sure he can do a better job of it. Silver lining... will get some serious Amazon Visa points on my credit card for this!