1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD died without warning- next steps?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Pluggo, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My MFD head unit worked perfectly until it went dead last week. That is to say, there is no light on the screen, no sound from the JBL speakers, and no reaction to the knobs or buttons. Basically, no more backup camera, radio, DVD, navigation or Bluetooth phone interface. I checked all the fuses (everything under 25 amps) on a test meter and I pulled and re-seated all the plugs in the back. The local dealer and Best Buy both said they were unable to bench-test the unit. Is there anything left to do before deciding on a replacement? Does anyone have a favorite aftermarket unit they want to recommend?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Multi function display is separate t from the head unit. You can’t lump both together as they are not the same thing

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, @Grit It's nice to see you again. Let me try to restate the question in colloquial terms: What is the next step when the radio don't work and the screen is black? Thanks in advance for all helpful answers.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is aftermarket? You mention Best Buy.

5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, it's original. I was just hoping Best Buy or Toyota would be equipped to test it so that I could be sure the car's wiring was not the problem. They are not so equipped.

Mendel Leisk likes this.