1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD fades in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by taggart, Feb 5, 2009.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an '08 with about 11k on it and I've noticed something with my MFD that I never noticed before. I am wondering if this is normal or a sign that the MFD may be going out. With the MFD off, when I hit the "INFO" button (or any button to bring the MFD up) it appears to fade in, much like the old color tv's used to do (for those of you old enough to remember those).

There's a possibility that this is the way it works, and has been doing it from day one. Any opinions? Does everyone's do this?

2. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have found that my display is 'slow to brighten' when the outside air temp is low... It usually is back to normal within 15 seconds or so...

Not sure how cold it gets at your location though...

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cold weather slows down LCDs. Is it still slow after everything warms up?

Tom

4. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought about the weather factor, but I never knew that LCDs were slower in cold weather. That's got to be the answer. Thanks, folks.

5. Tchou

Tchou Member

the LCD is not the culprit... the culprit is the backlight which is a flat fluorescent tube...
    it's brightness depends on temperature, it gets brighter while its warming up...
    The new LCDs withe Led Backlighting don't have this warm up period....

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. What you do see with some LCDs and cold weather is slow updates, or even fading. The newer LCDs are much better. As Tchou says, the slow fade-in is the result of the backlight.

Tom