1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Flickering on startup

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ZTE, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ZTE

ZTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My MFD has started to blink when i first turn on the car in the mourning but stops after about 3-5 mins. I'm wondering if the display is about to die.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, when it's cold. Goes away once the car interior warms up....

3. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How cold is "cold"? When it's in the 30ยบ range or lower, the MFD on my '02 is dimmed at start-up, but with car warm-up (heater on) it comes back to life. I've never noticed a flickering or blinking MFD.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Cold solder joints and heat/cold sensitive electronic components. Start saving up and tracking down a replacement assembly. I know there are places that will replace the display for <$300; but if the faulty electronics isn't part of the display - you'll still have the problem. Chances are you won't find out till the next cold snap that the repair didn't take.

Good Luck...

5. ZTE

ZTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was my suspicion as well. I believe the car may have some sort of electrical issue as the left/right speakers will go out randomly when i am listening to music.

The MFD is easy enough to replace and there are still some gen1 units in the junkyards around here as well. Would just doing a straight swap be enough or do i have to program the unit to match my specific car?

6. ZTE

ZTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just figured I'd update this for the 3 or 4 people who still visit this forum.

So I think my screen may be failing as there is now a dark spot on it. I suspect it's probably from something chewing on the wires as i noticed my washer fluid hose was chewed through and had to I replace it. Same thing also happened to my neighbor as well.

https://ibb.co/r3GGR9y