1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD goes blank - scary stuff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by orenf, Nov 30, 2008.

1. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So here we are, going back from our Sunday chores, when all of the sudden the MFD goes blank - the display is still ON, but not showing SOC or arrows (at first I couldn't believe I'm gliding while going up-hill...). No matter if I slow down, go faster, full stop etc. - it stays blank.

A minute later, the audio system goes silent.

As I fiddle with the MFD, I notice it no longer makes "beep" sounds, even though the option is on.

If I switch to "Audio" it tells me Audio is OFF. No way for me to turn it on.

If I switch to climate it says something like "Check connection to Air Conditioning system".

(all this while driving) - the car seems to handle OK.

Finally made it home, turned the car off, and then on. MFD showed a TOYOTA screen (I believe it usually does not show that?), making me think it went through some sort of "boot". Anyhow, all seems normal now.

I'll try and take the car in to the dealer Monday morning, to check for any error codes.

On Thu I had oil/filter change, though I can't see how it would impact the MFD/climate/audio/electric systems.

Any insights welcome...

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the classic MFD failure, but very unusual in a Prius more recent than 2005. Off to the dealer, probably for warranty replacement.

3. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    UPDATE: went to the dealer. Their Prius guy said it's either a bad MFD or loose plugs going into the MFD. Either way they have to take off the cover to see what's up. Made an appointment for Thu...

4. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    UPDATE:

Getting new MFD, under the 2004/5 TSB, even though my car is a 2007.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird. Still, solder joints do sometimes break, or maybe you got an old unit that had been sitting forgotten in a corner somewhere. But rest easy: if they diagnosed this correctly it is remotely unlikely ever to recur.

6. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A funny thing happened to me on a 2009 with pkg 2: when the car is powering up the screen does not come on and eventually a message comes on the screen saying a program won't load. My partner took it to a local dealership and told him that they can't find the cause of the problem and don't know how to fix it. They said they need higher up professionals to look at it.

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have they tried swapping the MFD? There's no dealer-serviceable parts inside, they just replace it as a unit. It's possible some other computer is causing issues, though, if that doesn't fix it.

8. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is always nice to have an existing warranty when things like this happen.