1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    MFD removed - Pix!

MFD removed. Wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but the instructions online don't mention the connector tabs for the power button and park button. Depress the tabs, and the connectors slide right out.

Any recommendations as to audio/video input add-ons when I re-install the fixed unit (weeks from now)? I have an iPod/iPhone and it annoys me that I can't plug it in (except through a cassette adapter).

P.S. As you can see from the pix, I do have an INFO button.

Attached Files:

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

Not on my 05.

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I DIDNT read through this entire thread, but let me explain my "woes" with my 08.

The system has "rebooted" itself for the total of three times now. Everytime it has rebooted itself, all my memory locations disappeared and the region always goes to somewhere in the mideast. I believe region 6 or 7. I'm in sunny socal, region 2.

The 2nd time it rebooted, it literally said, NO NOT POWER DOWN, system rebooting. Sort of a dark threat?

So, since then, about 4 months passed by, no problems until today, the system rebooted itself again. It went from my dual screen to single, it had the system oil change screen and gave me the option of saying, do not ever show this again.

INTERESTING thing, is that my HOME locations, two of which was inputted, never disappeared, ONLY the places visited on my navi. Now, being a real estate broker, I use the navigation quite a bit. So manually inputting all these addresses again is always a pain.

HERE's my question..........is my system failing? is it on the way out? should i be concerned? is it just having an electrical hiccup? How worried should i be? Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Have you checked your 12 volt battery voltage? Procedure at http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-...g-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html#post1020264.

Interestingly, you're the 2nd 08 guy I've seen recently reporting that type of problem. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/80307-navigation-problems.html. I wonder if there's a more widespread prob on the 08s and whether a TSB will be issued, if it hasn't already.

5. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link, CWERDNA.

anyone else for some help? I drive my prius everyday, lots of miles, my mpg is fine, so I doubt the 12v batt is the culprit.

6. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You should not assume the 12v is fine. That leads to a lot of wasted time and money.

7. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I wonder if you could just hook up a big honkin' 12V battery in parallel with the original as a temporary means of assuring clean 12V power? Probably too many issues (e.g., effect on charging system, nature of original battery's fault(s), BH12VB flying through the air following collision, etc.), but it's appealing.

8. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. was there a test that i can do punching in a series of buttons on the MFD itself to test the battery? I recall some procedure that I read here before, but I dont remember.

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, look at post #1 in the thread linked to in post #304 in this thread. Right there in black and white.

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    So, I've been driving without the multifunction display for about 10 days now... and it's MUCH more pleasant with no MFD at all than with a defective one. The radio no longer shuts off randomly, and the air conditioning is consistent.

In the meantime, AutoBeYours has already received, fixed, and shipped the unit back to me (across the border). I'm anxious to receive it obviously, but not as anxious as I originally guessed I'd be. Driving without the MFD is fine.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology

Shipping of the fixed MFD from AutoBeYours.com back to Canada took about a week via USPS from Indiana. Not bad, especially since shipping to Canada was included in his price. I luckily didn't have to pay any brokerage fee or taxes either.

I installed it... and it said "Please check system". Ouch. Then I unplugged all the cables and reseated their plugs and everything worked perfectly the second time around. Whew! I'll use it a week before declaring it fully fixed, but so far so good.

BTW, since I had the dash open anyway, I used the opportunity to hide my GPS power cable behind the dash. I have the GPS mounted on the windshield at the bottom left on the driver's side. Obviously that meant running a long wire all the way from the passenger's side, since that's where the 12V plug is. I had previous just taped it to the underside of the dash. Now I have it behind the plastic cover at the front of the "bump" between the two front seats, behind the dash under the steering wheel, and then exiting from the left side of the column of the steering wheel.

Too bad the cable weren't longer. If it were, then I could run the wire all the way to the left behind the dash, and then up to the left of the left-most vent.

Attached Files:

12. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  13. Phaedrus441

Phaedrus441 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys, I've posted a new thread about this, but anybody know if having a lockpick aggravates the problem? My MFDs got all the symptoms, and I wonder if the lockpick, which I've had for 8 months, has strained the connectors or something...

14. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology

Attached Files:

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

Ours (2004) has run for many years, problem free. We had our MFD replaced under the extended warrany, as the original failed at 36,000 miles PLUS. Just like the ol' saying goesl

16. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Too far out of the field of view for me.

17. peterlts

peterlts New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hi guys.

I only joined the forum to publicly express my eternal thanks and gratitude for the magnificent work and solution to the MFD "External Display Not Connected" issue on the Toyota MFD.

I followed the Hobbit fix 100% and the previously intermittent display in my Australian Toyota Kluger (Highlander in the US) is now in Tip Top condition!

I tried to solder it but my tip was too big so I rang a local electronics repair place and they charged me $20 to reflow the connector.

The entire removal, repair & refit was done in about 1 hour and for just $20! Wow!

Again, THANKYOU Hobbit!!!! You saved me thousands of dollars and a lot of frustration.

XOX

18. minerva66

minerva66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MFD in my 2006 Prius has been failing (first intermittently, now permanently). When I try to take action by touching the screen, none of the touches are recognized. I've been stuck on the nav screen for about a month until I read through all 32 pages here last night and realized I could probably get out of that screen by hitting the Info button on the steering wheel (never noticed that there before, but have been using the other controls on the steering wheel for climate, audio, etc.).

Anyway, this morning I tried the Info button on the steering wheel and it got me back to the main screen, and I could toggle back and forth between the energy consumption and other screen. So given that, and the fact that I have a 2006, any thoughts about what is going on with my MFD and why it no longer recognizes touches on the screen? It doesn't sound like I have the pin 60 issue, could it instead just be a fuse? Thanks in advance.

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, a fuse would not cause the issue where the screen doesn't respond to your touch. Although you may not have the "pin 60" issue, you still have an MFD problem; and the solution would be to replace it.

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

Talk to Steve in Indiana at:
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV
    He is likely to have a tested MFD from a salvaged Prius that would fit your Prius at a reasonable price (~$500). The instructions for removing an MFD (and reinstalling one) are linked on his site.

JeffD

1 person likes this.